Help identifying a Boat Mold in Ellsworth, Maine

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
When I was traveling on Hwy 1 just a little east of Ellsworth , I noticed a boat hull mold stored in a gravel lot on the south side of hwy 1, maybe 200 feet off the hwy. I was only able to catch a quick glance of it, and couldn't stop to investigate. But it looked like maybe 22'-26' in length, and in nice condition. It also looked like a 1-piece mold. Anyone live in the area or know who might own the mold? I wish I could have stopped and at least taken a closer look at it.

Capt.Ben

Lieutenant Commander
Forum Sponsor
Website
www.retmarine.com
Boat Make
Sailfish
I’m gonna try and take a ride up that way the week after next. I’ll swing in and look closer at it if I make the trip.
Let me know and I’ll make sure I’m at the shop! I’ll give you a guided tour! Offer goes to anyone here traveling Downeast past Ellsworth.

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
Is this it? It is near where you picked up your hull. I never did find out whose shop it was.

Post in thread 'Pics from a road trip downeast' Pics from a road trip downeast
No, my hull was in Steuben close to H&H, but I was very close to Ellsworth when I saw the mold. this hull mold had its bow facing hwy 1, south side of hwy, in a commercial kind of area. Gravel lot, metal buildings close by.

Dslpwr

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
35' Mitchell Cove, 13’ Whaler
Was it at pipers auto? I can’t remember who’s it wat

ClamDigger87

Lieutenant
First Name
Kendall
Boat Make
Eastern 18

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
I can't help being that I'm in New Jersey but I checked out Piper's on google maps and it looks like there's a mold in between the plow truck and the silver vehicle. Street view is from 2018

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Piper's+Auto+Body+%26+Sales/@44.5355272,-68.2778465,3a,43.6y,202.76h,89.79t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sb-PIu1t3eDOyB9C0VuI-wA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x4caeef05d56ff819:0xa21f3810a8f9f1be!8m2!3d44.5351865!4d-68.2774473

Wow, that's the mold, amazing detective work. I went by so fast and it was snowing, so didn't get a detailed look at it. I wonder who owns it and what design it is? It may be just the size of boat I'm looking for. I would really like to acquire a downeast hull mold in the 25'-28' size for outboard power.

ClamDigger87

Lieutenant
First Name
Kendall
Boat Make
Eastern 18
Wow, that's the mold, amazing detective work. I went by so fast and it was snowing, so didn't get a detailed look at it. I wonder who owns it and what design it is? It may be just the size of boat I'm looking for. I would really like to acquire a downeast hull mold in the 25'-28' size for outboard power.
Haha glad I was able to help out a little bit. It's amazing the details you can find on maps these days. We use it for work in the insurance industry and it definitely comes in handy. Hopefully someone can provide further info on the design and size.

xbskt

Vice Admiral
First Name
Jeff
Boat Make
28 Crowley Beal
Talked with the owner of the mold, it's a 22' Holland. It's been sitting there a while and he says it needs some rehab work, not interested in selling.
Just like the secrecy in ownership sometimes as we posted abiut on another thread, this drives me crazy. If you own a mold, please make use of it or let someone else do so even if you still own them. WTF!

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
Just like the secrecy in ownership sometimes as we posted abiut on another thread, this drives me crazy. If you own a mold, please make use of it or let someone else do so even if you still own them. WTF!
I’m not personally interested in a 22’, but I agree 100%. I see so much crap laying around not being used, drives me nuts. I guess some people would rather something rot away than for someone to put it to good use. I know of a hull mold, a model everyone is familiar with. I would be very interested in buying it, I know the owner very well, but he would rather it sit under a tree where the snow and sun deteriorate it then sell it. It would make sense to me, to take the cash, and let someone keep it in production.

Codcruncher

Captain
I wonder if they would be interested in renting it...take a small price percentage of every hull that pops out of the mold...or would it create a liability issue for the owner....

xbskt

Vice Admiral
First Name
Jeff
Boat Make
28 Crowley Beal
I wonder if they would be interested in renting it...take a small price percentage of every hull that pops out of the mold...or would it create a liability issue for the owner....
Definitely doable and has been done. A win, win.

Top Bottom