Help me find my next boat

cz02738

Deckhand
I'm on the hunt for our next boat. In simple terms I want the most boat that I can easily trailer myself (currently 4400 lb all in). We do most of our boating on Buzzards Bay, so I want something seaworthy enough to give us at least a little bit of a weather window. Clean, classic lines are a must. I prefer fiberglass for ease of maintenance, and I could probably be talked into cold molded. I definitely don't want a wooden boat.

The Pretty Marsh Runabout from Hylan & Brown is pretty close to what I'm looking for, although may be a little heavy. Any suggestions for other boats in this style, or boatbuilders worth investigating?

Capt Jack

Deckhand
Take a look at Seaway and Eastern boats (same mfg). They both have very active user groups on FB and often have ones for sale.

xbskt

Admiral
First Name
Jeff
Boat Make
13 Whaler, 14 Salty Boats, 28 Crowley Beal, 36 Northern Bay. WTF!?!
I'm on the hunt for our next boat.

The Pretty Marsh Runabout from Hylan & Brown is pretty close to what I'm looking for, although may be a little heavy. Any suggestions for other boats in this style, or boatbuilders worth investigating?
Tripp 22

NH-spear-n-fish

Deckhand
First Name
J
I'm on the hunt for our next boat. In simple terms I want the most boat that I can easily trailer myself (currently 4400 lb all in). We do most of our boating on Buzzards Bay, so I want something seaworthy enough to give us at least a little bit of a weather window. Clean, classic lines are a must. I prefer fiberglass for ease of maintenance, and I could probably be talked into cold molded. I definitely don't want a wooden boat.

What are you looking to spend? Its a big world out there!! I'm firmly in the 5 to 10k bracket but I know ppl looking who are flexible near 6 figures.

captjohn

Admiral
Boat Make
Henriques

Up until my current boat, every other one I bought was based almost entirely on emotion, I looked, I fell in love, I bought it. Unfortunately this resulted in me keeping boats for a very short period of time, selling it, and buying another one the same way. Before I bought my current boat I decided to use a little more of a "scientific" method. I sat down, pen and paper in hand, and started writing my requirements, fuel burn rate, twin diesel, speed requirements, fuel capacity, fiberglass fuel tanks, good engine access, stand up head, cabin, storage, helm area that I could flush mount electronic equipment right in front of me, ect. Then I developed an Excell spreadsheet, and began to populate it with a lot of different boat models. This really made the selection process VERY simple. When I was all done, only one boat satisfied all my requirements, and that boat wasn't even on my list of boats I was originally interested in!

Well, it's been almost 10 years now, still have that boat, still very satisfied with it. Still haven't seen another boat that could replace it.

It's worth a try. Takes all the emotion out of the process. Good luck!!!!!

Last edited:

cz02738

Deckhand
That's the classic dilemma - trying to please the head and the heart. I'm looking for that "last boat" (wishful thinking) that does both. We're downsizing so budget is not a major factor as long as it's not 6 figures.

@captjohn, that's exactly where I am now. Through the years we've had everything from a Grady White 22 up through a Bertram 36, all of which we've had for a few years before moving on. All have been great in one way but lacking in others. Currently we have a Hunt Harrier 25 where the issue is ongoing maintenance needs. If it were just a little less work we'd keep this boat forever. Between the brightwork and the stern drive it's just a little more than I'm looking for. That, plus ongoing hauling and storage fees which really start to add up after a while. Thus, we want something we can haul and store ourselves.

To take a crack at my requirements:
-Outboard engine
-20+ kt cruise in flat seas
-Can make it to the Vineyard (and back) on a good day with margins for weather and fuel (that means ~100 mile range)
-Comfortably trailerable without getting a new car (puts boat weight <3000 lb, length likely in the high teens)
-Minimal, reliable systems - no head, no plumbing, fewer things that can break
-Quality finish with good materials and no exposed brightwork - but I love brightwork when it can be protected from the elements when putting the boat away
-The hardest requirement: that classic, timeless look that you just want to keep looking at on the mooring or in the driveway.

I'm in the "know it when I see it" camp, but if it doesn't meet the basic requirements then it's a no-go. I've spent hours and hours on the classifieds and yachtworld, etc but I still don't think I've found "the one" quite yet.

That Tripp 22 is right in line with what I'm looking for. Good recommendation. I'll look around to see if I can find one that makes sense.

I'm also looking for names of other smaller, less well known makes to see if any of them could work.

I could also see going semi-custom with a reputable boatbuilder and proven hull design. I'm also not opposed to getting a high-quality older boat to repower, upgrade or modify if it's worth it.

Roccus7

Admiral
Boat Make
2013 22' Eastern Lobsterman
@cz02738 - My 2013 Eastern Lobsterman, not for sale, checks all your boxes, all composite construction so hull weight w/engine < 3000 lbs, gets of 3nmi/gallon so the 50 gallon tank should last you for 150 miles cruising at 21 knts @ 2600 rpm with a 115 HP Yami, no head, no plumbing, no teak. It's a very well-made boat with no huge warts in design or workmanship.

Sure, there's a few minor things that I wish were different, but I'm not one to nit pick, especially since when I did buy her it in 2016, it was one of those few, truly, "I can't afford NOT to buy this boat" moments...

1674903479044.png

Last edited:

NH-spear-n-fish

Deckhand
First Name
J
I'm with Roccus7 everyone has different needs but that boat is my perfect set up. Protection from elements with a large d3ck area and dry cabin storage. Running lower hp so gas isn't straight up insulting. Plus you can tow easily.

captjohn

Admiral
Boat Make
Henriques
That's the classic dilemma - trying to please the head and the heart. I'm looking for that "last boat" (wishful thinking) that does both. We're downsizing so budget is not a major factor as long as it's not 6 figures.

@captjohn, that's exactly where I am now. Through the years we've had everything from a Grady White 22 up through a Bertram 36, all of which we've had for a few years before moving on. All have been great in one way but lacking in others. Currently we have a Hunt Harrier 25 where the issue is ongoing maintenance needs. If it were just a little less work we'd keep this boat forever. Between the brightwork and the stern drive it's just a little more than I'm looking for. That, plus ongoing hauling and storage fees which really start to add up after a while. Thus, we want something we can haul and store ourselves.

To take a crack at my requirements:
-Outboard engine
-20+ kt cruise in flat seas
-Can make it to the Vineyard (and back) on a good day with margins for weather and fuel (that means ~100 mile range)
-Comfortably trailerable without getting a new car (puts boat weight <3000 lb, length likely in the high teens)
-Minimal, reliable systems - no head, no plumbing, fewer things that can break
-Quality finish with good materials and no exposed brightwork - but I love brightwork when it can be protected from the elements when putting the boat away
-The hardest requirement: that classic, timeless look that you just want to keep looking at on the mooring or in the driveway.

I'm in the "know it when I see it" camp, but if it doesn't meet the basic requirements then it's a no-go. I've spent hours and hours on the classifieds and yachtworld, etc but I still don't think I've found "the one" quite yet.

That Tripp 22 is right in line with what I'm looking for. Good recommendation. I'll look around to see if I can find one that makes sense.

I'm also looking for names of other smaller, less well known makes to see if any of them could work.

I could also see going semi-custom with a reputable boatbuilder and proven hull design. I'm also not opposed to getting a high-quality older boat to repower, upgrade or modify if it's worth it.
Teak is ALWAYS going to be a pain in the ass. My old Topaz had a lot on the outside. When I had the hull refinished I got rid of ALL exterior teak, and I NEVER regretted it!!!!

On your list, right away the 3,000 weight limit should make it easier to start listing boats on your list. By the way, Jones Brothers makes some nice smaller boats, heavily built as well. Then you have Steiger Craft, nice boats, flatter bottom, should make the list as well. And I'm sure their are lots of others out there.

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
I know of a 2002 22 eastern with a lobster top with a 2005 115 Suzuki with low hours . The owner will sell for 20k he said..if anyone is interested PM me

Top Bottom