Help on cutting bow wood

fadetoblack188

Lieutenant
Re did the rub rails on my 16 ft dory. Before I round off the edges I need to cut a new piece to put in the bowl.

I am unsure of how to take this cut as the angle is confusing me. The inside of the rails is not straight. It is angled. Top of the rail is wider the the bottom of the rail. Like this \ /

I was thinking about just cutting the “ triangle” and sanding the edges of it on the slope it needs to be alittle at a time until it lays in there perfect. What do you guys think?

here’s a pic of mine with new rails and what it’s suppose to look like.
Thanks

38035A51-F8A8-443E-A9C2-DC5B6197D136.jpeg

2130C210-0938-48F3-9769-45B637A95622.jpeg

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
Its called the Breast Hook,ad you take a bevel gauge to get your agle of the rails where it will mount. Take a strait edgeacross the tops of the rail, and get your bevel, and set your table on a band saw or the blae on a table saw. I uaually put the beast hookmin the boat before the rails,just the way I was taught

Cool Boat

Commander
Last night I was reading an old Woodcraft magazine on making a chair. I was humored by the one notation to cut little bits at a time to sneak up on the perfect fit. Your comment was correct.

fadetoblack188

Lieutenant
Its called the Breast Hook,ad you take a bevel gauge to get your agle of the rails where it will mount. Take a strait edgeacross the tops of the rail, and get your bevel, and set your table on a band saw or the blae on a table saw. I uaually put the beast hookmin the boat before the rails,just the way I was taught
I knew it had to have a name just couldn’t find it anywhere. Thank you!!

fadetoblack188

Lieutenant
And as far as breast hook before rails. This is my first time tackling any sore of wood work, I just tried my best to copy original .

harpoon83

Commander
First Name
Colin
Figure out your bevel, cut the block slightly larger than you want. Check to see if your angles and bevels are all correct, then shave off small amounts until it fits in perfect.

No matter how nicely you make that piece fit, I would be prepared for it to move around when it shrinks and swells.

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

novivin

Captain
That looks like a Sturdee Skiff, if so, original may not be “breast hook before rails” and according to the picture it looks like it might not be?. Cool boats, woodwork not always done by boatbuilders at the factory... sometimes cabinetmakers... odd “handymen”... know somebody that had conversations with current owner, not making wild claims. It is a solid fiberglass hull anyway.

fadetoblack188

Lieutenant
That looks like a Sturdee Skiff, if so, original may not be “breast hook before rails” and according to the picture it looks like it might not be?. Cool boats, woodwork not always done by boatbuilders at the factory... sometimes cabinetmakers... odd “handymen”... know somebody that had conversations with current owner, not making wild claims. It is a solid fiberglass hull anyway.
Yes every original picture I find it looks like the rails are in place first then the breast hook between the rails

fadetoblack188

Lieutenant
Would you guys use a wood glue or like a west systems epoxy to glue it In with screws?

the rails are in place with west systems six10 and some counter sink screws

cobia23

Commander
First Name
Paul
Would you guys use a wood glue or like a west systems epoxy to glue it In with screws?

the rails are in place with west systems six10 and some counter sink screws
I rebuilt a 14' Sturdee a few years ago. The breast hook is installed after the rails on them, I didn't go with factory type rails but rather made my own custom shape out of mahogany. I did however do the rails first, then the breast hook. Used West system six10, (only because I got a great deal on it) and bronze screws.

novivin

Captain
Lou Sauzedde is the balls. He is going to build a full scale replica of the Orca from Jaws starting this year. I can’t wait. It will be going to Menemsha when she is overboard. I will be there. Party!

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

fadetoblack188

Lieutenant
Is the finished one yours ? If not do you know if it is original ? I have never seen a cleat mounted athwart ships like that before. Ofcourse i have never seen a light just forward of a cleat either. Just curious. Thanks.
Finished one is not mine.

Top Bottom