EXCLUSIVE: Opened hatch blamed for sinking of Port Authority boat - NYPOST.com

24.1n009.capsizedboat1.C--300x300.jpg

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60
Last edited:

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
This is great only in NY can you open a story with a line like this,

"A $500,000 Port Authority patrol boat sank this month after a veteran police sergeant took the advice of a clueless civilian safety instructor":eek::D

GLA

Commander
reading the article, it almost seems like the sergeant opened a hatch below waterline, to remove a rope from the prop.

I guess he thought he would just put it back on after he removed the rope and no water would enter the boat.

are you reading the same thing?

Pedlyr

Captain
Sounds like the boat had waterjets.

In the "jetroom" or lazerette, there are access hatches on top of the jet tubes which are just above the waterline by inches. But only to be used if the jets are clutched out and not engaged. They are there for clearing debris that might get in the impeller.

If you take that hatch off underway, well you can imagine what might happen. Like...... the boat might sink.

I have seen this before, where somebody didn't put all the bolts back in the hatch tight enough. It is amazing how fast that jetroom fills up. I have also worked with former NYPA personal before. Doesn't suprise me.

ulf75

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
37' Repco (project)
Blitzen,

The civilian instructor was not the only clueless person on board.

I've seen this boat out numerous times. Myself and most, if not all my neighbors have been victimized by their wake all summer.

To say I'm surprised or disappointed by this would be a lie.

Some people should just stay on land.

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
We once had a NYPD boat try and stop our ship while transiting NY harbor, they had no clue that we could not stop and they were out of their jurisdiction, the CG put an end to the harassment.

tomy

Commander
Boat Make
36 Wayne Beal
Another wast of taxpayer money, Giving that nice boat to idiots.

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made
Top Bottom