High sheer

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
So what is the story behind some of the boats that have a high sheer and on some where they both were offered.

I know this will probably be answered quickly but what was the reason for the high sheer as I am wondering if there are reasons that I am not thinking about. I am quite enjoying mine especially with all the below deck space. Of course I will miss being able to lip striped bass but thinking I will like it for gaffing/harpooning tuna.

I have to imagine one of them has to do with fishing in rougher weather.

Here is the boat and now stored next to my brother in laws JC31. I forget its so high off the water until I get close to the dock or other boats!

DSC05159.jpg

DSC05166.jpg

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

tunamojo

Rear Admiral
Lite User
Website
Www.wickedweasel.com
Boat Make
Holland 32

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Looking Good Shawn!!!

I love to see your daughters face in the window, priceless!

That beautiful little face in the window is a BIG reason to have a high shear boat.

I like a high shear in a DE hull. Washrail edges hit you legs above the knee cap.

Adults and kids have less of a chance falling over the sides.

Here's another, let's say you need a couple of inches of helm deck height to "cover" an engine ...(no engine box) ?

Raise the shear 2-3 inches and you'll gain some height in the cabin to work with.

The 2-3 inches may be enough to get above the knee caps for the vertically impaired as I am . :D

Capt. Rick

Commander
Boat Make
31 RP Willis Beal
Fishing wise, while leaning against the gunnel you don't want it to hit you in an uncomfortable spot like below the knee. MUCH better to hit you about the knee for comfort as well as safety. When fishing in rough seas, it is NICE to have the higher gunnels, give you much more security from being tossed overboard.

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
I agree w capt. Rick, on 35 jc i am very happy with the high gunnels between kids and taller clients it never makes you feel liek your gonna fall out.

Now my privateer's on the other hand, they be a lil low, but they were also designed as commercial work boats

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
We stow the boat about 2 hours away from where we tie up in the summer. For 13 years I've made that run between three boats now myself. Yesterday I decided to take my 4 yr old daughter on it and lets just say it was a blast, just her and I.

I stood next to the helm, let her sit in the captain chair and today its all she is talking about. Kids, its why we do what we do right? Everything I do is so I can spend more quality time with them.

In that, comes this boat where I want to be able to spend a little more time at home than halfway around the world on a ship. A few more charters, a little more luck with commercial fishing = less time on a ship...

photo.jpg

05bill

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
rp, willis beal
its all about kids. however god forbid ,never fall out of a high sheer boat, cant get back in alone !!!

05bill

Top Bottom