High water and Smoke/CO detector- recommendations please

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Insurance company is asking for all of this (just before I take it out of the water and gut the boat of course).

Anyone have any that they recommend? Boat will have analog gauges and simple everything (no generator, A/C or 110V power) so simpler is better. I have never had either in a boat so its all new to me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Duke

Commander
Lite User
Boat Make
Dyer 29

backman

Captain
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
I have 2 Rule switches - engine room and rudder compartment wired to a single alarm at the console. All 12V. Each is next to a bilge pump and an inch or so higher,

The ER switch will go off if I have 2" of sitting water under the engine at rest and quickly jump up on plane piling it up enough to set off the float switch.

I will not own a boat without a fofre and aft high water alarm - cheap prevention of a possible disaster!

Live Wire

Lieutenant
Boat Make
38'wesmac
CO/high water

I installed a CO alarm in the sleeping quarters,sure Home Depot have battery operated ones. I used a Muruco Co detector that can be surface or flush mount,very reliable purchased at ADI alarm distributors and connected to my 12 volt system. This is a must if you have a generator running.
As for a high water alarm I installed a rule switch in the aft part of the engine room and a little higher than the main bilge pump/ switch. This switch goes to a 12 volt bell located in the engine room,this is loud enough to hear when steaming.i also connected a 12 volt orange strobe light to the bell circuit. This strobe light is in the wheel house but is visa lee through the glass door which has a sign saying HIGH WATER ALARM and my phone # in case I am away from the boat

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
I'm not suggesting omitting the equipment. I just don't want to deal with an insurance co that mandates additional equipment.

Get used to it. All surveyers feel they have to find "something" for the insurance companies. High water alarms are a good idea anyway a car horn from Autozone and a rule pump switch are all you need. Do you have a light that goes on when your automatic bilge pump starts? Maybe that is all you need?

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Get used to it. All surveyers feel they have to find "something" for the insurance companies. High water alarms are a good idea anyway a car horn from Autozone and a rule pump switch are all you need. Do you have a light that goes on when your automatic bilge pump starts? Maybe that is all you need?

I will bring this up- great point thanks for reminding me.

I dont mind complying, its just the plan to remodel the boat that bothers me. I want to plan ahead rather than rushing into buying something before its time.

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
I don't know if the high water alarm will do you much good on the hard, But boats have been filled with rainwater and Sunk on dry land. FWIW
If the high water alarm is rigged properly....it should be triggered by a mounted float switch and also be hooked to a bigger bilge pump.....I have it hooked to a 4000 rule

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
That would be fine and it crossed my mind Gurryman but the cost of the survey jjust isnt worth it. Insurance is relatively cheap and a survey could cost me $800 or so here so my goal is to keep my insurance active to avoid having to get a new survey in the spring. So I have to buy some stuff sooner than later.

It is un-American really. The whole insurance world has gone crazy over the last 20 years. "underwriters" are just looking for any reason not to insure you. Its like some kid telling his mom on you.

Going to get the stuff they want of course....

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
A high water alarm is a common sense item and it's not too hard to rig. CO detector- is it a gas engine? If not, seems a stretch.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
It does in the water- on land it will be gutted and I will remove the drain plugs that the previous owner had installed. Boat is factory original to 1984. Just took the loran (A?) and paper scroll depth finder out of her.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
A high water alarm is a common sense item and it's not too hard to rig. CO detector- is it a gas engine? If not, seems a stretch.

Yes it was gas and will be after re-power. Going to get a battery model from hardware store.

Sailorgp

Commander
Boat Make
Sisu 26
Toolate...if you don't mind me asking, who are you insured with? I've been with Boat U.S for 20+ years (3 different boats) and they've never asked for anything except money.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Toolate...if you don't mind me asking, who are you insured with? I've been with Boat U.S for 20+ years (3 different boats) and they've never asked for anything except money.

Allstate- just bought the boat and had it surveyed as a part of that. Allstate requires a survey for older boats (1984) and mine shows the crappy rusted raw water wash down pump and the surveyor noted and photo graphed the lack of the rest of the stuff.

Think there is another company I could go with that would insure the boat without a survey given that its 30 years old? Only paid $15k for it...

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Just filled out the quote request form on the boat us site so will see tomorrow. I am a member there too. Policy is just a normal one for me, not commercial or anything.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Please don't take this the wrong way, $800 for a survey 0n a 30', Hope they kissed you when they were done!

Think it was $600 all in but that was in Maine. He charged me $18/foot and then so much per hour for sea trial time.

In his defense, he sent me a 30 page report with 408 pictures of the boat, most of them with his moisture meter in the corner of the pic too. Did this all in 2 days too so it was worth it. Did I mention that I bought the boat sight unseen? Yes crazy...:rolleyes:

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Just to make sure it would go haha. The surveyor sent me a video of the boat running 10kts after about 30 minutes of running. I have been on many boats that wouldnt run for 30 minutes (remember its 30 years old). The list of potential problems is endless and I wanted pics of every nook and cranny and he promised (and delivered) all of that. It was well worth it IMHO.

It was the boat I wanted at a price I couldnt refuse but I couldnt make it there to see it with work/family.

Sailorgp

Commander
Boat Make
Sisu 26
I expect you're going to be very pleasantly surprised with the Boat U.S. quote. I assume you have an "agreed value" type policy. I pay $260 a year for a $16k agreed value policy on my 26 Sisu. Although I'm claim free for 25+ years so I get a discount.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
BOat US quoted $600ish on agreed value of $15k. I would expect insurance to go up soon or at least cost a lot more if you were to get a new boat. Think these companies are trying to make up for Sandy losses. I went with them incidentally because it was only $150/year more than my other company which is less than the added stuff would cost.

Going re-evaluate all of this in the spring too. Boat US said that the premium would only go up $100 or so to add $60k in agreed value.

Members online

Latest Posts

Top Bottom