www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

Curmudgeon

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
44' Stanley, 40 Webbers Cove, 19 Ocean Pointer
Low

Mine is barely 6" up from bottom of the keel. Barely higher than my higher (bigger pump) bilge pump switch. If you ever have a problem it is better to know early as possible.

Billyclub

Lieutenant Commander
A little higher and just forward of bilge pump. This will keep the pump from sucking air needlessly. Also if the switch is mounted to low it will cause the switch and pump to cycle causing premature burn out because the pump is mounted at the same level as the switch. im talking just a 1/2- 1 inch above

tomy

Commander
Boat Make
36 Wayne Beal
hey Ronny. make sure you get a bell or loud claxton type sound producing device to go along with it. call me and you can see / hear mine. believe me..you want loud if that goes off.:D( especialiy up in yr tower)

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Ronnie,

Rule has a high frequency ear piercing alarm.
I was "measuring up" a DE last weekend and when I got out of my car in the parking lot my "ears were ringing" from "something".

At 1st I thought it was a transformer or something.

When I got on the boat I knew it was "something" on the boat.
Not knowing the boat I had to hunt around and it was the Rule alarm.

I called the owner and he could hear it as I was talking to him.

He had a crew member install the alarm day before and it had rained heavy overnight.

FWIW,

Bill D

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

GLA

Commander
my high water alarm is just above my second bilge pump, which is just above the primary bilge pump. the second bilge pump is ported so that if it goes off the water shoots out of a thru hull mounted at the top of the gunnel outside the boat so everyone can see it go off.

captchuck

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
26' Seaway
Ronnie,

Rule has a high frequency ear piercing alarm.
I was "measuring up" a DE last weekend and when I got out of my car in the parking lot my "ears were ringing" from "something".

At 1st I thought it was a transformer or something.

When I got on the boat I knew it was "something" on the boat.
Not knowing the boat I had to hunt around and it was the Rule alarm.

I called the owner and he could hear it as I was talking to him.

He had a crew member install the alarm day before and it had rained heavy overnight.

FWIW,

Bill D

Bill can you elabrate on the alarm?
Was it installed correctly and they intentionally let it go off etc... I like the sounds of a basic alarm like that vs the alarms that require an internet hub that I have read of.

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
Thought it through some more.
I'll some how manage to glass a block to mount the float switch down in the keel, low but not too low and I'll use that switch off the alarm/buzzer that I plan to mount at the helm and I'll wire it to a 2nd bilge pump for the keel. Was planning to add a 2nd bilge pump down there anyway.

you know an easy way to you can bend up a piece of aluminum in a Z, mount it up on the engine mount. Tap it and use machine screws for the float. I would presume you have enough access for that no ?

tomy

Commander
Boat Make
36 Wayne Beal
Ronnie, and everyone. Make sure you install a light along with sound producing thingy......Coast Guard requirement you know.:rolleyes:

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
What is sad is how many boats that they are located in an area by the time it gets there, its just to late almost. I have to go into mine to put in a new pump. Right above the second pump as said here is best.

Gets me going about DE Keels. Why do I think that if we just glassed them over somehow under the engine pan it would be a great place to some weird tank, like an emergency water tan, put a bladder in it to make it a potable tank or somethnig. Of course would be a nightmare down the road to deal with if it failed but just think. Just dreaming now...

Live Wire

Lieutenant
Boat Make
38'wesmac
Add strobe

I mounted bell for high water alarm, but also installed 12 volt orange lens strobe light that next to door with "High Water Alarm" and my cell phone # on a label. Hoping that if a high water alarm exist and not around, would get someone's attention and be notified.

Top Bottom