Holland 32

bavarian323i

Lieutenant
Hey guys,

Im new to the forums, but have many years spent on the water. I am considering a new downeaster and have studied them hard for the last couple years. I love the Shelter Islands as well as the Holland 32s. I came across a base Holland recently that looks like it has potential of being made into a nice 'lobster yacht' but I think the price is a little high considering what you get. What would you consider to be a fair price for a baseline used-Holland 32? And what negatives have any of you come across when it comes to these boats?

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Love to help you but more info is needed. I think in finding and buying a DE 30 to 32 footer is can you live with the engine box.? That is a big item to hone in on. Most Hollands with good power have the motor box. If I purchased another DE it will not have the motor box. The step deck is the way to go. Find a good DE that is built deep enough to have the raise deck as apposed to the motor box.

OLD BAY

Rear Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Eric
Boat Make
Shelter Island 38

Dave Wynn

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
H&H 32 Desperado
In my opion only 32 Holland is a nice boat. The boat has Great lines, a true DE, runs Fast, Glenn holland builds a real nice boat. What I dont like about it is the smallest 32 boat. Its very hard to get the fuel tanks under the deck. Low head room in Cabin. Last thing is the engine box. The boat is a roller. It all depends on what you want to do with the boat. It is one of the nicest looking boats around though.
Just some things to look out for. Again just my opion

Last edited:

MouseTrap

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Rosborough
They may be small, but they carry big attitudes!

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:

SameDirection38

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Youngbrothers, and Calvin Beal are the only way to go.
There has been many great 32 Hollands built over the years they, are a great hull, and for a long time the only boat I would ever consider in that size. I have seen them with as little as 140 hp and as much as 500 (diesel). The are a very efficient hull. I have been in 6 footers coming back from the Stonington Lobsterboat races with a hangover and it wasn't that bad of a ride, just a little wet. Then I saw the Calvin Beal 30 on SW Boatworks. That boat goes great for its hp (305 I think). The hulls are close to the same price but it seems like you get more boat with the 30 Calvin Beal.

32hollandstick

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Holland
holland

I currently own the 32 holland for sale on here. Yes it's small for 32 but I down sized from a 36 Wayne Beal which is huge for a 36. Comparing apples to oranges! They perform excellent and I gotta say, I was very impressed the first time I got caught in some 3-4 footers. It's not uncommon to see these out on Platts, wildcat and the great south channel! Regarding the comment about headroom, I'm 6 foot and I gotta have 4-5 inches or more of clearance. If you had the house raised a few inches and extended, and made a step up I believe you could get the engine below deck which would make for a sweet cruiser/sporty.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
I would hope that most lobster boats could easily deal w/ some three foot seas. I guess things are different when you've got a big nosebleed tower on one of those. Anyhow, they are beautiful boats w/ a classic look about them.

32hollandstick

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Holland
comparison

What I meant was I was impressed with how good of a sea boat the 32 was after downsizing from a 36 with about twice the displacement and weight. I fished on a 29 blackfin and 31 rampage for years and in 3-4 footers at 20kts your fillings were falling out!

DBM

Commander
Lite User

Dave Wynn

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
H&H 32 Desperado
I couldnt agree more The holland has the nicest lines around. I looked at a brand new one that was in NY. Loved it but I had the same issues you had. Spoke to Glenn many times on the phone he was a pleasure to talk to. I ended up buying a 32 H&H built by Steve Law. Great Boat !!!!!!!!!!!

Tunahead

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.captbillsmith.com
Boat Make
Have 5! Make that 6 ....
Holland vs SI Boat

Are you serious? It isn't even close. 2 entirely different types of boats. The SI is an overpriced, yuppie boat, that will pound your teeth out in a chop. The holland is a real hull, seaworthy, economical to run, and a lot of boat for 32 feet
No comparison

Top Bottom