Holland 38 Lifting rails

eztbone

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Holland 38
So I have lifting rails installed on my 38 Holland. I am considering taking them off for a couple reasons. First they are not straight and second they were not properly glassed on to the hull. This was apparently done by the first or second owner. There are areas where the wood that was used for the rails is visable and not covered by glass and areas where they tried to glass it to the hull and they didn't grind down bare glass and it is lifting off the gel coat. Does anyone have any opinions on whether to keep them and properly repair them or remove them? I use the boat for cruising with the family. Any help is appreciated as I am close to barrier coating the bottom and need to decide in the next day or so. Thanks

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
Are you happy with the way the boat performs and handles with the rails?

eztbone

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Holland 38
I am happy with the way it performs. I thought I read on here somewhere that Glen Holland doesn't reccomend installing these. I could be wrong, just wasn't sure if it was overkill or hampering performance, as much as you can hamper performance at 15 knots

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
If your happy with the ride then re fiberglassing them properly would be my way to go.
I dont own a 38 holland and know everything there it is to know about them. Im sure someone with more time on one may tell you differently.

In my eyes grinding down the glass and re-glassing the rails isnt the biggest project and would make the most sense.

I do hope someone else does chime in with another opinion for your decision making here.

Good luck!

VPC

Lieutenant Commander
Repair

Well it's very hard to make a bad job good and more than likely cost more in the long run, I did considerable research on this having bought a 38 and spoke with probably a dozen or so owners, Man o War a 38 has full length rails and in lieu of his weight it was a good decision, so you might want to compare weights and performance on that end, also his rails are composite foam not wood.Apparently rails are very popular and it seems like a lot of round chine boats are using them, my MC 32 had them and it seemed like they were an asset. Your at an advantage because you can see if the rails are in the right spot and make adjustments accordingly. If I were you maybe speak to Holland tell him your performance numbers and go from there, after that pick the other Holland owners brains and make your choice. For the moment I'm not using them I'll probably wait till I repair to see the new waterline.

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
I would call glen for his advice, I have spoken to him and he is very companionate about his boats so it's worth a call. My guess is he will tell you to remove them, your not going fast enough to benefit from them.

eztbone

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Holland 38
Thanks for the input. I appreciate it. I think calling glen is the way to go.

MikesMarine22

Captain
Boat Make
Holland 14, YB 33
I am usually a person that if I think something was not done correctly I will remove it and start over. And from the way it sounds, you may just want to take them off and either do it over or leave them off completely.

Top Bottom