holy fish eating seals on the cape

bestfish

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
36' Harris Cuttyhunk
I saw a pretty good FB hoaks putting a bounty on them like the old days. I heard an estimate of 3,000 in Truro and another 12,000 off chatham. Makes me sick to think about how much fish they eat

Chum Pot

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Parker
I look at the picture and thought each one eats 20# ,or whatever, of some type of fish a day, with out any regulations at all.............

Whites in the water but I think I will order some Bengal Tigers on line to help with the beach population.

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
I saw a pretty good FB hoaks putting a bounty on them like the old days. I heard an estimate of 3,000 in Truro and another 12,000 off chatham. Makes me sick to think about how much fish they eat

overfishing? Maybe the quotas on people fishing isn't a solution to the problem.. since they haven't worked it should be easy to conclude ... something else is going on out there...

reelyankee

Lieutenant
Canada shut down the directed cod fishery in 1992 and the cod still haven't come back! The population explosion of gray seals happened at the same time,coincidence?

CaptAlex

Lieutenant
Boat Make
35' H&H
This is the first time in history that these things have not had predators ... white man, red man, bears, wolves, orcas, white sharks, sabre-tooth tigers, god-knows-what-else ... now there's a only handful of slow-reproducing white sharks for ten of thousands of seals, and more and more every year ... Vineyard/Nantucket/Elizabeths are overrun, nevermind Monomoy ... the striper numbers and sizes for the Vineyard Derby (5000+ fishermen for 5 weeks) have completely crashed ... while offloading at the Chatham fish pier last year I had a refrigerator-sized savage pig of a seal grab a ziploc bag of cod filets right out of my hand when I was looking up away from the water talking to a buddy ... they are a goddamn scourge and only getting worse ... no question they are part of why Canada's cod stocks haven't rebounded, and don't even get me started on the worms (in BSB now) ...

Last edited:

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
Need to get a fisheries started fish 15 inch mesh gillnets stand up gear right off the beach give the out of work gillnet fleet something to do a chance to survive

backman

Captain
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
I'm pretty sure the great whites show up in mid June off Chatham because each year I troll Crab Ledge in early JUne the seals are all over the place, eating stripers in 200' of water out on the Ledge as well as bobbing around all over the place. We had one go after a 25# striper on a squid rig once.

2 weeks later the seals are all in tight to Monomoy which indicates to me that Whitey has arrived...

tuna_fan

Captain
First Name
Eric
I'm pretty sure the great whites show up in mid June off Chatham because each year I troll Crab Ledge in early JUne the seals are all over the place, eating stripers in 200' of water out on the Ledge as well as bobbing around all over the place. We had one go after a 25# striper on a squid rig once.

2 weeks later the seals are all in tight to Monomoy which indicates to me that Whitey has arrived...

Mary Lee is off NJ right now with her buddies....almost here....
OCEARCH Global Tracking Central

Top Bottom