Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

harpoon83

Lieutenant Commander
I am not familiar with the smaller generac units, but I have some large standby generac units at work, that I would not recommend.

For the smaller units, we have a storm responder Briggs and Straton, starts first pull every time, has never been touched in the 7 years I have worked there, and it starts 1st pull no matter what the conditions are.

harpoon83

Lieutenant Commander
In my experience, if it is a permanent standby unit, Kohler is the best. If you can find a used tow behind diesel unit buy it. Normally they have very few hours and are much more reliable than the smaller gas powered units.

Look for used light tower units as well, Any of these used units have enough power to run your house and can be found for fairly cheap money.

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

DotRat

Commander
Boat Make
Row Boat
The company I work for are Honda generator dealers. They are awesome and always start easily, very quiet and easy to maintain. Not sure if they carry the size your looking for but if you are interested I can check. We have a Kohler as our back up for the building I think its 200 kw runs on natural as diesel would have to have a big tank! I second the commercial site generators. I had one that I sent to Haiti and that thing is still going with a billion hours on it and not the best maintenance!

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

RCLS2016

Commander
Boat Make
26 SISU
Woundup, Sorry in advance if I complicated this but. Friends of ours just got an 8500 watt Champion from Costco I believe. It is dual fuel and It has a lot of features but not sure how clean the power is. I haven't really done any homework on it... My parents have a permanent Generac standby generator. During Hurricane Sandy the Governor and butterfly for the fuel regulation failed and had I not been there they would have probably lost a some appliances due to voltage and frequency fluctuation. I had voltage down to 90 volts and frequencies down to 38Hz...So I'm not a fan of Generac. Anyway I use a Honda E2000i that I back feed to a sub panel, and am just very careful and selective about what breakers I turn on and it only supplies 110V. I also wouldn't want my wife to try to operate it if I wasn't home. So do you need 220/240 volts is another question and do you want to install a transfer switch? (Thats how I would recommend and is the way to go IMO). If you can spend the extra money on the bigger Honda, I think that will be the cleanest and most reliable power. Mine starts right up after sitting with old gas in it all year.. Edit... You could also try checking out Yamaha generators.

Last edited:

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name