Horns

Scrib

Deckhand
First Name
Bob
Boat Make
Jarvis Newman 36
I need a new horn for the boat. I know air is the way to go but I need a quick & dirty replacement for an electric only one now. I want it LOUD … too many yahoos out & about in the fog . Any recommendations?

Brooksie

Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
My AFI single air horn has served me well mounted on my port windshield post pointing down. It's loud OK
Expensive now but has lasted decades

Last edited:

Sea Ox

Deckhand
First Name
Chris
Boat Make
36 NB 18 Sea Ox
I went with an Ongaro and Schmitt dual trumpet. 122 decibel vs 125 for a small air horn. It’s very loud for electric…

chortle

Admiral
Boat Make
Herreshoff Coquina, 1972 Jarvis Newman 36, PT11
I need a new horn for the boat. I know air is the way to go but I need a quick & dirty replacement for an electric only one now. I want it LOUD … too many yahoos out & about in the fog . Any recommendations?
I found this online, seems to be a manufacturer of these impact driver kits. There are some DIY versions ($100) on the site and some videos with sound for comparison.

Impact Train Horns

for comparison you can check out the Kahlenberg website and listen to each of their horns, after you choke on the prices. My boat came with one of these and it is awesome, people will definitely hear you over their own boat noise.

Commercial & Military Air Horns | Kahlenberg

Scrib

Deckhand
First Name
Bob
Boat Make
Jarvis Newman 36
Thanks everyone for all the ideas & recommendations. I've decided to go with an Ongaro SS dual trumpet. It should be loud enough @ 125Db and it will look good on the roof. There's some crazy wiring on this boat ... current horn which doesn't work also doesn't seem to have a push button anywhere either!? So, I guess I'll basically start over with new wiring, new horn button, fuse, etc. If it sounds like a 50ftr after I'm done I'll be happy!

Saltydoc58

1st Mate
First Name
Robert
Boat Make
Ellis 28 Yanmar 6LPA STP 315HP, Parker 1801 Yamaha F115
If possible, mount the horn pointing slightly downward to allow water egress avoiding salt water pooling deep in the horn tube and rotting it out…. Ask me how I know.

Last edited:

Top Bottom