Hose clamps

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
So just a little curious on this and mind you I sometimes take small things and take them out of place.

So last year when I sold my boat I changed all my hoses, got new hose clamps as well as did timing and other things to my Volvo. So a pretty reputable mechanic comes down and notice's the care I have given the engine for the past four or so years I had the boat. I took that as a good compliment because he said the engine was cared for above average, that helped in the sale.

Then we were bullshitting at the end and he told me on thing. Don't use crappy hose clamps and stop buying them at West Marine. We'll most hose clamps I buy are Ideal and have the 5/16"? head so I can get a socket on it rather than a screwdriver. I laughed it off but one thing I noticed in less than about 20 hours of operating of the dozen and half hose clamps I tightened down about 2 or 3 of them had failed, meaning that they were still there but couldnt be tightened. They would just slip.

I was wondering who hose clamps you guys use out there and of course I know this is a little overboard but figure shit it can't hurt to use a better grade. I think one was ABB but not sure... Thanks...

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
Breeze Constant Torque

Constant_Torque_hose_clamps.jpg

djmarchand

Captain
Boat Make
Atlas Pompano 23 outboard
Low cost hose clamps are made from 304 SS and the grooves in the band cut all of the way through and leave holes. The lower quality material and perforations let them fail over time.

The better hose clamps are made from 316 SS and have no perforations. But they cost three times more.

David

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH.. Piscataqua and Merrimack Rivers
Boat Make
27 H&H with Cummins QSB 5.9 480 power
Breeze Constant Torque
I agree with John on clamps!

These clamps are "standard" on ALL Cummins engines.

Just be careful tightening these clamps. Use your hand.. NOT a rachet.

If you over tighten these clamps and hear a "click" you've busted a clamp.

I busted a few before I got the knack!! :(

Also, use some Rectorseal #5 on the connection. Great sealant, doesn't dry out and when it comes time to take the hose off the bronze fitting the rubber will not be "welded" to the metal.

FWIW,

Bill

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
Awab, worth the money.

Constant Torque only on silicone rubber hose.

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
Awab, worth the money.

Constant Torque only on silicone rubber hose.

Will you explain? Is it because of cost?

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Constant-Torque clamps are the only type of clamp available that maintains constant pressure on the joint regardless of expansion or contraction of the hose or tubing, and therefore widely used in air-to-air aftercooler systems. Requires proper adjustment to work correctly. [SIZE=-1]They ar[SIZE=-1]e f[/SIZE][/SIZE]ully lined [SIZE=-1]and[/SIZE] protects soft hoses, such as silicone. All stainless. Complex construction means higher cost.[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
Will you explain? Is it because of cost?

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Constant-Torque clamps are the only type of clamp available that maintains constant pressure on the joint regardless of expansion or contraction of the hose or tubing, and therefore widely used in air-to-air aftercooler systems. Requires proper adjustment to work correctly. [SIZE=-1]They ar[SIZE=-1]e f[/SIZE][/SIZE]ully lined [SIZE=-1]and[/SIZE] protects soft hoses, such as silicone. All stainless. Complex construction means higher cost.[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Silicone hose suppliers call for wider, constant torque, clamps w/ rolled edges and yes, they are pricey and overkill on regular hose.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Non-constant torque clamps have a tendency to slice into the sidewall of silicone hose, whereas the constant torque ones have a slight bevel on the interior edge that doesn't

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
So they are not just for Silicone hose. Just a much better hose clamp.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
All hose clamps are stainless steel. The key is make sure that the clamps you buy have stainless steel set screws. The cheap one do not.

Top Bottom