How about a best value thread?

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
What if we start a thread or have a section that puts a value compared to other boats for sale.

I think that could be where my hangup is...

Why would someone spend this much money on this when they could spend the same or less money on that.

Is that 30'Sisu a good buy... at that price????
maybe

It has some nice features.

the downfall is a 3208 and as far as I rememeber. They are not battleships.. more like submarines or a see saw or is that seasaw

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
A 3208 is better than a 3116 now. You trying to start some shit? LOL.

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
A 3208 is better than a 3116 now. You trying to start some shit? LOL.

A 3208 was always better than one of those:D. In there day they were great engines. There is still a ton of them around and a preferred engine by a lot of people. I would pick a 3208 over a lot of engines. Parts shouldn't be that much of a problem due there popularity , My cousin is making a stainless oil pan for his. He likes doing that sort of thing but I don't know if everyone likes doing it. Are marine grade 3208 oil pans hard to come by? He also made a stainless cooler for it. I guess those are problematic too.

hfpd

Lieutenant
Boat Make
34 Webber Cove / 19 General Marine
Last time I commented positively on a boat on this site but stated an opinion about pricing the whining went on for days. There is always someone who is going to pay too much for a boat and then attack others while trying to defend their purchase. Enjoy the listed boats but don't talk price on here. Too many thin skinned people.

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
Dont feel too bad lobster. I also consider a 3208 to be a negative. Especially anything over 350hp.

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
Oh and for best value im gonna nominate wvgbrowns black 31 bhm in gloucester

Frank Grimes

Rear Admiral
First Name
John
Too many thin skinned people.

True, but in a boat value can be very subjective. Unless it has soft decks, water in the hull's core, rotted house, etc. One guy might see a project boat as something he can fix relatively easily, and might enjoy the project, and see a higher value than someone who couldn't or wouldn't do the work and couldn't see why anyone else would. That's just one example, and any way you slice it very seldom does this all come out on a message board. Not really the right medium for that type of discussion.

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
I think when your looking at an 86 boat a 3208 is an excellent choice. They were one of the best engines of that time. If it were an 06 I would think differently. If that sisu had an electronic engine I would think the price would be different, unfortunately the speed and eficiancy would be very near the same.

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
True, but in a boat value can be very subjective. Unless it has soft decks, water in the hull's core, rotted house, etc. One guy might see a project boat as something he can fix relatively easily, and might enjoy the project, and see a higher value than someone who couldn't or wouldn't do the work and couldn't see why anyone else would. That's just one example, and any way you slice it very seldom does this all come out on a message board. Not really the right medium for that type of discussion.

That and having been through restos before knowing how much they actually cost!

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Last time I commented positively on a boat on this site but stated an opinion about pricing the whining went on for days. There is always someone who is going to pay too much for a boat and then attack others while trying to defend their purchase. Enjoy the listed boats but don't talk price on here. Too many thin skinned people.

I think it has been made clear that natural selection against thin skins is off the table here. Now don't anybody try to read my mind; I'm not picking on anyone in particular, just the "words hurt like fist" idea.

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
I think when your looking at an 86 boat a 3208 is an excellent choice. They were one of the best engines of that time. If it were an 06 I would think differently. If that sisu had an electronic engine I would think the price would be different, unfortunately the speed and eficiancy would be very near the same.

it probably would cost more than the asking price to have a new teir 11 engine with that HP installed into the boat. I agree there probably wouldn't be any performance benefit by upgrading to a new engine. More than likely , that 3208 will last a long time.

Tuna Pursuit

Rear Admiral
Website
www.oliverwelding.com
Boat Make
Thunnus
At the risk of jumping in the meat grinder it can become a problem for a seller when he lists a boat and people start trashing the price. I think opinions on the boat are fine but to say it's over priced could scare away a potential buyer for the seller. And I've said as much on here and started a whole thing. Ok trash away.

Frank Grimes

Rear Admiral
First Name
John
That and having been through restos before knowing how much they actually cost!

Very true. But, I always think back to the guy who took a burnt out boat and rebuilt it into a fantastic DE specimen. With a 3208 in it , nonetheless. ;). Haven't seem him around here in while......

And I will say that I've seen several DE's for sale that could be re-fit (cosmetically) and re-powered for 50K less than a new build of the same model would run.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom