How are you guys feeding your PSS?

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
I have never seen it but heard of it, even locally. Most of my boats see less than 50 hours a year. I have a couple that hit the 100 mark. I think it’s a good practice to back up that collar.
Sure thing Jerry. There are a lot of lobster boats in my area that use PSS.I think when they ge5 rope in the wheel it contributes .

leaky

Admiral
A couple more details when it comes to PSS seals. They used to come with the Ideal brand (slotted) hose clamps. They have recently upgraded to the Awab brand (solid) which is fine for the majority of recreational boaters. You, Leaky and the rest of you Tuna chasers I would step that up a bit and get the T-bolt type hose clamps. Not the kind with the nylock nut but the newer style with the Allen head bolt. Hamilton’s has them. I also write the date I installed them on the bellows and on the collar. Also for you guys that are in that 100+ hour a season category I like to put a collar zinc or a hose clamp to back up the collar. I have never had one “creep” on me but it’s cheap insurance.

Thanks! - I did notice and I wasn't really thrilled w/ the clamps. I've run into it with some fittings already, but not sure I can get anything wider on there, gonna take a look tonight - ought to be able to pull the size off them and just source something better. I've run into it with the smaller clamps already though where you just don't have the space for say 2 t-bolt clamps, but then I at least use higher quality ones that are solid inside, I want to say they are actually Scandvik just not the t-bolt style, a high quality worm gear in all 316.

You are talking about Scandvik clamps on the t bolt style w/ allen head I think. If so they are nice - Been using those where I can, only trouble is they are 1 inch thick (versus 3/4) and have very little adjustment range compared to say the standard Trident ones with a huge adjustment range that are produced to be more user friendly. For instance they actually don't offer a size that fits the 4 inch Vetus hose even, because it's just a touch thinner in sidewall, one size either bottoms out or nearly bottoms out, next size up I can't get to start (even tried using vice grips to get it started). Was very annoying, however the ones I bought actually all get used because up at the engine I'm using the silicone trident hose, which is thicker walled.

I found those plugs - actually is one on each side, looks like a 1/4 NPT plug. Of course the things are awfully set in there - wasn't satisfied with how my cheap "boat" allen wrench set was fitting them for the torque it was gonna take, gotta bring better tools over and take a crack at it - may even hit it w/ air. There is red shit on the threads, I cannot imagine they would red loctite an NPT fitting, probably is some sort of Mercury sealant, but that would certainly explain the trouble if it was. I didn't allocate much time to screwing around w/ it but if I can't get comfortable w/ the allen head, ought to be able to break the large nipple free, or even take the whole assembly out if need be, so I can put a torch on it. That assembly is a poppet valve, side a big hose, below a big hose not pictured, then a small hose pictured goes up and bleeds into the mixer - they worked out specifically how they want to feed the PSS from there so just gonna go with it.

20220125_211436.jpg

leaky

Admiral
Oh and on the collar - good info there too - I haven't been thrilled with the zinc I put back at the prop, is a thin 1.5 inch donut style but the diameter is just a touch wider than the prop hub, and I have room for something > 1.5 inch, probably can put a more standard one on there. I look at it walking by periodically and think it may mess w/ the prop and that I'd like to take it off and turn it down. I'll just replace the stupid thing and put that one up by the PSS.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
That red stuff I believe is their proprietary Teflon thread sealant. It’s thicker and there’s way more than you would use if it was loctite. If I recall correctly that’s where I came off on my MerCruiser in my last boat.

leaky

Admiral
That red stuff I believe is their proprietary Teflon thread sealant. It’s thicker and there’s way more than you would use if it was loctite. If I recall correctly that’s where I came off on my MerCruiser in my last boat.

Good! Figured something like that and red loctite done well can be a real bitch if you can't get a torch on it like it is with these parts.

xbskt

Vice Admiral
First Name
Jeff
Boat Make
13 Whaler, 14 Salty Boats, 28 Crowley Beal, 36 Northern Bay. WTF!?!
What is a poppet valve and what is it's purpose? Bypass?

leaky

Admiral
What is a poppet valve and what is it's purpose? Bypass?

A spring loaded thermostat type of device that restricts flow to maintain pressure on one side. Used usually for say low RPM where the water pump isn't creating full pressure but you want to make sure water gets up to the top of the system, opens fully on higher RPM and is basically doing nothing at that point when you got lots of pressure throughout the system.

How they use them in outboards - to make sure say the top of the powerhead gets enough water at low RPM. On this engine, not sure.

leaky

Admiral
Grabbed decent tools and that plug came right out. Also noted I can easily turn that larger nut/nipple 90 degrees so that the elbow/nipple I'm adding is on the top and isn't sticking out further than the rest of the engine.

On the clamps Jerry - I'm stuck with 1/2 inch diameter but can definitely upgrade to a higher quality set. They are a #52.

20220126_191217.jpg

20220126_191316.jpg

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
Yes because I believe the piece they thread into is also brass.
that's not the correct thinking.:oops: I would have been happier if it was Marelon.;) This is the what's going to sink a boat, not hitting an object in the water breaking a scoop or whatever.

Traditions is giving good advice, bronze is king when dealing with boat parts in seawater.

leaky

Admiral
No yellow brass on marine. The cooler is bronze. Yellow brass will eat out faster than anyting in salt water.Probably take a few years.
that's not the correct thinking.:oops: I would have been happier if it was Marelon.;) This is the what's going to sink a boat, not hitting an object in the water breaking a scoop or whatever.

Traditions is giving good advice, bronze is king when dealing with boat parts in seawater.

Ok but traditions - its not threading into the cooler, it's threading into that other nipple. Maybe it's some sort of forged bronze or "Naval Bronze" (brass) just struck me as brass.

Searching around trying to find a 1/4 NPT to nipple elbow in bronze, or the parts to piece it together, thought that'd be kinda reasonable to find but no luck yet.

Is kinda small to be plastic, stainless as a second option? Hate mixing metals like that but the fitting on the engine could be easily replaced if ever need be too.

leaky

Admiral
what size are the fittings and hose? 1/2"?

1/4 NPT to 3/8 nipple, an elbow needed to point it in the right direction, although maybe I could just point it down.

I did find a 1/4 npt street elbow at West Marine of all places, but haven't had luck with a 1/4 NPT to 3/8 nipple in bronze or really any nipple in bronze that size - honestly I've never seen tiny bronze plumbing parts like this.

This part is not going to sink a boat no matter what I do - it's a 1/4 NPT fitting north of the engine impeller pump, if it would even leak without the engine running is gonna be a pretty small leak. I will be shutting that seacock anyway because of normal unknowns. But maybe I would be better off with cheap plastic and a spare fitting for the engine - if it breaks and tries to wreck a trip, i could replace the parts in 10 minutes.

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
I don't think that first fitting is a 3/8"NPT is it? I see your barb fitting being a 3/8". That crap that came with the engine needs c/o as well, it's brass. Are the hoses two different sizes? It kinda looks that way with the photo, maybe just the photo.

harpoon83

Captain
First Name
Colin
you could pull that fitting out and replace the entire thing with bronze fittings and bushing to get to where you need.

Swing into Amesbury industrial they might have what you need, they have everything.

leaky

Admiral
I don't think that first fitting is a 3/8"NPT is it? I see your barb fitting being a 3/8". That crap that came with the engine needs c/o as well, it's brass. Are the hoses two different sizes? It kinda looks that way with the photo, maybe just the photo.

You got that larger Mercury NPT fitting, which I think was a 1-1/16 hex. It's probably 1 inch NPT, threads into a casted part and has a nipple on it that is probably 1/2 inch. It has a 1/4 NPT plug in it you specifically remove to feed a PSS. Yes I think it's brass, why I was good with brass in the first place - maybe it's a better brass I don't know, but struck me as a brass part cosmetically so I said "ok brass nipple"... I try not to mix brass and bronze but didn't realize brass was that bad.

That plug i took out and whatever ends up threading into the larger Mercury plumbing part (we think is brass now) is definitely 1/4 NPT.

The PSS is a 3/8 barb. And the PSS by their documentation really just says, "get some water to it". Mercury says "use this fitting for your PSS" - so sizing/flow wise that all ought to be good.

Even that hose clamp they picked on the Mercury part, not a huge fan of, I use better ones on a bilge pump, but really can't go trying to re-enginer all their fittings and stuff. Once I get passed dealer prep if one of those starts dissolving and leaking I definitely will.

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
Ok but traditions - its not threading into the cooler, it's threading into that other nipple. Maybe it's some sort of forged bronze or "Naval Bronze" (brass) just struck me as brass.

Searching around trying to find a 1/4 NPT to nipple elbow in bronze, or the parts to piece it together, thought that'd be kinda reasonable to find but no luck yet.

Is kinda small to be plastic, stainless as a second option? Hate mixing metals like that but the fitting on the engine could be easily replaced if ever need be too.
Electrolosis

Hamilton sell bronze pipe fittings. Brass doesnt go well with salt water .

leaky

Admiral
Electrolosis

Hamilton sell bronze pipe fittings. Brass doesnt go well with salt water .

I don't think they carry anything bronze < 1/2 NPT - actually have their catalog open here. I'm not sure anyone makes much to speak of for bronze down less than that size, although I did find a street elbow at West Marine in 1/4 NPT but can't seem to find a nipple.

The trouble is though - if that other fitting I'm threading into is actually brass like we suspect, I'm not gonna go retrofitting all the pluming on a new engine, if I did find a bronze fitting (or say stainless or aluminum even) and threaded it into a brass fitting that's gotta be even worse?

Seriously leaning toward a plastic fitting there - should be OK if I support the hose so it's not stressing the fitting. What's important here though is that the water generally gets to the PSS - actually more worried about that than a leak. If I get a leak there, the whole little elbow thing cracks off - honestly is hardly an emergency compared to stopping the flow of cooling water, which could actually do damage before I realize anything is wrong. I almost might run one from each side into a Y, into the PSS - then at least if some $2.00 plastic (or brass, whatever) part fails I have time to notice the leak before I'm burning something out.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom