How do i frame this ??

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
I need to cut a piece of plexi to fit between the windsheild and the partition wall, the problem to me looks like there are two angles going on ??? How to i measure or make a pattern to fit this ? Seems like the angles change and the plexi can't have a twist to it. Small strips of cardboard and a hot glue gun to make a pattern ???

20130504_104938[1].jpg

20130504_104925[1].jpg

20130504_104938[1].jpg

20130504_104925[1].jpg

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Pick your favorite angle and stick with it. Or, if you're feeling up for the challenge, bend your plexiglass with some strips of wood and a heat gun to give it that custom flair.

Cardboard makes great templates, maybe you can find yourself a suitable piece that has a bend on it, like the flaps of a box, that you can use instead of trying to glue them together, just cut and glue on some gussets. Much easier.

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
I would start with a compass,and transfer the forward shape of the windshield onto a piece of cardboard until I was comfortable with the fit.I would then do the same for the partition,with a separate piece, then hot glue the two pieces together in place,and hope I could get the pattern out to use for cutting the plexi. Some times those windows are at a odd angle to the bulkhead to seal up good.They seem to tip to starboard on the top.I have seen some with another piece like a wedge to fill in the gap coming off from the partition.

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
All good info and thats what i thought so its off to the grocery store to get some boxes. Now if it would only quit SNOWING woke up this morning to snow and a 9:45 this evening it still coming down, not sticking on the roads but still makes it a wet muddy mess out.

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
I would start with a compass,and transfer the forward shape of the windshield onto a piece of cardboard until I was comfortable with the fit.I would then do the same for the partition,with a separate piece, then hot glue the two pieces together in place.
Steve,This is my choice also......i got a great heavy duty stainless compass from Harbor Freight for short money

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Went and got a scrap piece of Lexan at the plastics shop and scribed it in, now i'm going to mark out a window and paint the inside of the lexan white to look like gelcote and trim out a black band on the outer edge of the window to look like the black gasket on the other windows.
window tape.jpg

window2.jpg

window tape.jpg

window2.jpg

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
Steve,
Why don't you just leave it all clear?I have a piece of glass and its nice to have all the viasbilty you can,Your control panel would be easier to see.I would try it all clear before I did anything,just seal it in with some clear silicone.Nice fitting job by the way.

JimRP31

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Willis Beal/RP 31
Steve,
Why don't you just leave it all clear?I have a piece of glass and its nice to have all the viasbilty you can,Your control panel would be easier to see.I would try it all clear before I did anything,just seal it in with some clear silicone.Nice fitting job by the way.

Steve, I agree leave clear, why create a blind spot?

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
The only reason i want to paint it is because i don't like the straight edge of the foreward partition it looks like a unfinished hole to me. I'm going to make the window as big as i can, i already cut a opening when i had the cardboard pattern in to make sure i could see all the gauges and what i have for visibility.
attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Doesn't this look better than a open hole ?? I can see all the dash and visibility is good from both inside & outside. Looks more like a original part of the boat not a after thought, i like it and i'm sticking with it.
done window.jpg

done window closeup.jpg

done window.jpg

done window closeup.jpg

Last edited:

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Thanks guys just finished dinner so i can go back down to the boat and mask off the lexan for painting.

Top Bottom