How do I know if there's water in my tank?

Alison Tuna

Captain
Boat Make
Privateer
I honestly don't think there is but I want to be sure I am not running salt water thru the motor.

What's the fastest way to drain the tank? What can I put into the tank after its empty to make sure there's no water? Someone mentioned kerosene?

Thoughts?

BunkerMan

Commander
How about polishing the fuel tank with a three racor set up. I guess like a full cycle return with a 110v pump and let it rip all day long

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
If you can dip the tank with a stick just put a little water paste on the stick and see if it changes color. No color change no water.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
I honestly don't think there is but I want to be sure I am not running salt water thru the motor.

What's the fastest way to drain the tank? What can I put into the tank after its empty to make sure there's no water? Someone mentioned kerosene?

Thoughts?

A Racor filter is a must. The clear bowl will show water before it gets into the motor. Plus a Racor will shut your fuel supply off before it can enter the motor.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Not enough. You are playing with a loaded gun. The spin on will not trap water. You need either a 900 or 1000 Racor. The are about $300.00 and the filters are only $10. They are worth their weigh in gold. It will save your motor.
They work like magic. As the fuel enters the filter all large debris & water that weighs more than the fuel settle to the bottom of the clear blow. All smaller particles are trap in the paper filter. Should the fuel bowl fill with water a small floating safety ball will block the flow of fuel before it can enter your spin-on & motor.
Changing a Racor takes two seconds, spin-off the top & drop in the new filter. With a Racor your spin-on will be good for 200 hours plus.

Picture 4895.jpg

pugsley

Captain
if you can stick your tank...we have a copper tube on the bottom of one of those hand oil pumps, put the tube to the bottom of the tank and pump a some into a clear container.

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
So an I putting it before my spin on..... Or instead of my spin on?
The Racor gets the fuel first next comes the spin on. The Racor should have the next larger micron filter.
If your spin-on is a 10 Micron then your Racor gets a 30
Racors come in 2, 10 & 30 microns.

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
gas engine? I have never used more then a spin on filter. Diesel is a different story. If its gas I would Stick it and if good run it.

pugsley

Captain
gas engine? I have never used more then a spin on filter. Diesel is a different story. If its gas I would Stick it and if good run it.

not to mention those old evinrudes would run about half gas half water, not saying that was a good thing, but they would run. if it's fuel injected it's a different story

Alison Tuna

Captain
Boat Make
Privateer
That shit is great! I first tested the paste on a wet part of the deck. BAM!!! Turned a real nice purple color.

Then took a virgin piece if wooden dowl , put the paste on it... Stuck it and we are good to go.

I did also purchase a single racor water separator to be installed prior to the spin on. eBay had a new one for $70 free shipping.

Painted bottom today and hopefully tomorrow get the motor running.

Fluke in NY opens May 1

tomy

Commander
Boat Make
36 Wayne Beal
Go to Seaboard Marine ' s web page and view their filter design...nice.
We are talking diesel right?..still like having a racor along with spinon (s)

Top Bottom