How many boats have you owned?

marktore

Commander
Boat Make
25' BHM
I have to really think about this one, I have had to many in a short time...

20' Renken cuddy - First boat that I bought myself, maybe when I was 26 or so...
23' SE Parker - I would buy another one right now, loved this boat. Probably my favorite of them all...
23' Steiger Miami
21' Carolina Skiff DLV - The biggest POS ever to float!
19' Carolina Skiff DLX - Great boat for what it is...
18' Wood Clamming Skiff w/ tiller steering
26' JC (partner)
28' BHM
25' SE Parker - This was a nice boat, the 23' SE is much better!
26' JC (same boat, partner again)
24' ROS - never finished, sold hull after taking delivery
25' BHM - Current

I see another small skiff type boat in my near future sitting on a trailer in my driveway... That will be the last one for a while.

south shore

Captain
First Name
Nick
Boat Make
25 Northern Bay
I have to really think about this one, I have had to many in a short time...

20' Renken cuddy - First boat that I bought myself, maybe when I was 26 or so...
23' SE Parker - I would buy another one right now, loved this boat. Probably my favorite of them all...
23' Steiger Miami
21' Carolina Skiff DLV - The biggest POS ever to float!
19' Carolina Skiff DLX - Great boat for what it is...
18' Wood Clamming Skiff w/ tiller steering
26' JC (partner)
28' BHM
25' SE Parker - This was a nice boat, the 23' SE is much better!
26' JC (same boat, partner again)
24' ROS - never finished, sold hull after taking delivery
25' BHM - Current

I see another small skiff type boat in my near future sitting on a trailer in my driveway... That will be the last one for a while.
Hey Mark weren't all those boat just in the past 2 years :D
Also I got a line on a small skiff call me if your interested out of state but not far. I have to run my daughter to Florida in a few days if its still available when I get home I may grab it.

Underdog11

Lieutenant
Lite User
Boat Make
33 YB sold, 26 Sisu, 21 Rebel Bay, 18 Orion,

CCtuna

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Some day...
That's it! I know exactly where it lives today.
Haha small world. I’d love to hear how she’s doing, it was a great boat for me. Multi day tuna trips, tending 100 traps and long afternoons at the sandbar it did it all. I had that thing dialed. Made money and had fun

80163496-A3E0-4818-A9AA-973B257ACCB3.jpeg

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
Lots. I really don’t have a number but been buying and fixing boats my whole life. Dad used to have 4/5 boats for sale in the spring when I was a kid after we fixed em up. Now I do the same.

Shipbuilder

Ensign
Started at 8 years old with an 8 ft pram and oars. Have owned a total of 12. Seven sail and 5 power. I am 78 and just gave my last one to my son.

In the mid 30’s. About 9 or 10 Boston Whalers, 7 Aquasports, 2 Seaways, 2 Back Coves, 2 Makos and miscellaneous Regulator, Edgewater, Shamrock, Intrepid, Scout, SeaCraft. First boat was homemade pram dinghy then a 12’ Sears Gamefisher. 13’ MFG after that. A few homemade dinghies, kayaks and geodesic rowing skiffs. I have issues!!

Pioneer

Lieutenant
Boat Make
25' Columbia Northsider
Only 2. First was a 21' Pickerell side console inshore lobster boat when I was 21; kept her for 17 years. Second, my current 25' Columbia Northsider, going in 24 years. Looking for #3. Envious of you guys. . .gonna show all these posts to the wife . . .maybe she'll feel sorry for me:)

CCtuna

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Some day...
Only 2. First was a 21' Pickerell side console inshore lobster boat when I was 21; kept her for 17 years. Second, my current 25' Columbia Northsider, going in 24 years. Looking for #3. Envious of you guys. . .gonna show all these posts to the wife . . .maybe she'll feel sorry for me:)
I think that’s impressive the amount of time you’ve owned your two boats

R T ANDERSEN

Ensign
13 boats 8 ft. pram 4hp sears engine 11 years old 16 ft skiff 18hp evin . 12 skiff 18 hp 14 sears alum. 25 john. 15 bowrider 55 john. 27 revelcraft 318hp 20 proline cuddy 55 even . 24 fiberform 318hp. 20 aquasport 115 merc. 21 stieger block island 175hp 31 rp willis beal 6lp. 13 whaler 40hp. new boat comming 248 eastern cc200hp

R T ANDERSEN

Ensign
13 boats 11years old 8 ft. pram sears 4 hp 16ft. skiff 18hp. 12 skiff 18hp 14 sears alum. 25hp 15 ft. bowrider 55hp. 27 revelcraft318hp. 20 proline 115hp. 24 fiberform 318hp. 20 aquasport115hp. 21 stieger175hp. 31 rpwillis beal 6lp. 13 ft. whaler 40hp new boat comming 24 easterncc 200hp. still got the beals.

Bpd92

Commander
Lite User
First Name
Brian
Boat Make
35 Duffy

shiook

Lieutenant
Boat Make
BHM 32, JD 6068T
At 14 y.o. - Penguin
Bluejay
Hobie 16 (#1)
Hobie 16 (#2)
Hobie 33
Seaward 26rk
Jeanneau 36i
- and finally, now, a major move from the dark side, at 65, a BHM 32 and a 20ft skiff my son and I built 2 yrs ago.

Underdog11

Lieutenant
Lite User
Boat Make
33 YB sold, 26 Sisu, 21 Rebel Bay, 18 Orion,

novivin

Captain
So this list cover the past, present, future and ones that got away.

Wooden turnabout "Lightning" - Dad took me for my first sail and had it heeled over pretty good in a 20 kt SW breeze that it hindered my full on appreciation for sailing

36' Atwood Novi "Four Aces" - Bought boat and lobster business from a gentleman that was retiring and went on my own for 6 years. Sold when I got out of fishing full time.

8' Pram - "Kimba" - A pram I found floating that ended up being very handy. Ended up registering it with the state of MA and then transferred a NMFS federal lobster permit onto it after I sold the Novi as purchaser didn't want the federal permit. I can confidently say that the was probably the highest priced 8' pram ever sold.

35 Duffy "Wendy Marie" - Was partners with my dad on building the new boat, took 4 years of pecking away at it over time. I was going to fish it part time and Dad was not going to retire but downsize from the 42 OEM. Unfortunately he got sick and passed away shortly after launching so it was mine. Ended up selling as didn't need two full time boats.

42 OEM "Jake & Josephine" - Dad's boat that I inhertied after he passed. Spent many days lugging traps down the rail before and after I went out on my own. Ended up selling to an old family friend that was looking to upgrade in size.

26 Seaway CC "Anticipation" - Fun family boat I always admired that I said if that is ever for sale and I have the money I am buying. Well selling the 35 Duffy nicely preceded the Seaway coming for sale. Wife told me to buy it once she saw it but for some reason I held off a season. Great boat but looking to sell now to get something similar size to start lobstering part time again. Too nice a boat to work off.

14 David J Smith skiff " Wicked Lobstah" - Technically not mine as wife and son bought it based off a recommendation from a friend while I was overseas on a business trip. Great little skiff that has taken me to places I have been around my whole life but never had a small enough boat to get to. Past 5 years have been hauling 10-20 traps off it and with my son and leisurely cruises to the skinny water place a big boat won't take you. We are both ready for an upgrade to a bigger working platform. Wife and son say they want to sell but I am not sure.

On the lookout for:

Lobster skiff - Could be something like a 20 MC center console with outboard and hydraulic or electradyne to be able to haul 150-200 traps. Possibly a 25 BHM with diesel or 24 Leblanc with outboard set up for lobstering or if Seaway sells possibly look at building, 26 Webbers Cove with Outboard or 24 Leblanc or 26 David J Smith with outboard.

Whaler - Wife and son think they want to sell the 14 DJS and get a 17 Montauk. She want to have something with a wheel, as she doesn't like the tiller and son wants to go faster.

24 Leblanc - Missed this one twice in 6 months. 24 Leblanc set up with hauler was posted here back 2013/14 first by a forum member that was selling since he was building a new boat. Boat was out on East end of LI. Wanted to got see it but seller asked me to wait a bit until the Summer crowds left and he had time to show. I said OK and made plans to reconnect in Sept after I returned from work trip to Africa. Get back and call him and had sold 3 days prior to a buddy of his, Damn. March rolls around and surfing CL and see the same boat up for sale again in Hampton Bays. Call the seller and he was the one who bought it and used it a bit but plans changed so he was selling. Price had gone up but still in a workable range. Wife tells me take a day off and we take ferry out of New London and make a long day of it. I say no will wait until the weekend. I show up on the weekend but 2 hours too late as boat has again been sold out from underneath me. Got to look a the boat so that next time I see it I could act. It was what I wanted, had checkbook with me but just too late. Still search CL daily to see if it pops up, supposedly wen to Brooklyn.

31 BHM - Got offered a 31 BHM and cash as trade for the 42 OEM. Was being shortsighted at the time and thinking the 31 BHM was too much boat for what I wanted to do ( had missed out on the 24 Leblanc and was still thinking that way. Looking back now the BHM would have been good. I would have owned it so didn't need to fish it to support it and could have done small fishing of 50-100 traps for fun. Over time as life got less hectic could have scaled up to the eventual goal of 300-400. Had 1100 traps, sold most but kept some and could have kept more to support.

Lessons learned: Boating is fun. Don't (or try not) to get emotional over a boat when buying or selling. Don't be shortsighted on your boating goals and listen to your wife when she tells you to go buy the boat!
Hi There,
I knew the boat your dad had, Jake and Josephine. He was a kind man. That was a beautiful, very rugged boat. He gave us some good info to get work done a couple times up off Hull. I hope you find the next one and enjoy it!

ErikT

Captain
Lite User
First Name
Erik
Boat Make
Crowley Beal 28

Fouraces59

Commander
First Name
Jay
Boat Make
26 Seaway CC
Hi There,
I knew the boat your dad had, Jake and Josephine. He was a kind man. That was a beautiful, very rugged boat. He gave us some good info to get work done a couple times up off Hull. I hope you find the next one anI,,
Thanks,
Great guy and great boat, Still making money at 33 years old. As they say at Clark Island Boat Works "Built to Last". Were you in the Shipyard in Hingham when you met him?

Top Bottom