How many gillnets fished ???

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
I know the answer depends on the boat & crew size but how many nets(50fa each) does a normal monkfish/skate boat fish ?? Same for dogfish ?? Yeah i know it all depends on how the fishing is but just trying to get a general idea. I figure i'd be able to clean/pick 20-40 monk nets and since dogs are on a limit i guess you pick till you get the limit. I'm planning on doing this myself so i know i'll probably fish less gear but i used to pick 20-25,000 lbs of salmon in 24 hours by myself so picking fish doesn't bother me.

pugsley

Captain
600 yards is enough more than enough for dogs...especially now since there is no market

WRHardie

Commander
I'm unfortunately living in Ohio right now but bou
Did you haul them every day or let them fish for a day or two ??

All depends on how well they're catching. On the first set of the season we let them soak a couple days, early on we would have to haul all 4 to get our limit but as the season went on we'd have nights hauling 2 shots of a string getting our trip and would turn and burn while the gettin was good. When it slowed they'd soak a few days, no more than 3 or 4 though (weather permitting) we learned our lesson hauling nothing but bones after a week soak.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
All depends on how well they're catching. On the first set of the season we let them soak a couple days, early on we would have to haul all 4 to get our limit but as the season went on we'd have nights hauling 2 shots of a string getting our trip and would turn and burn while the gettin was good. When it slowed they'd soak a few days, no more than 3 or 4 though (weather permitting) we learned our lesson hauling nothing but bones after a week soak.

Yup thats what i thought.

pugsley

Captain
Do they take the gear home with them at the end of the day or does it stay out overnight ??

we almost always take ours home, two 300 yard nets, set them twice and go home, we left one overnight last winter got a limit out of one net.

Top Bottom