How many hours is a detroit 6v53 good for?

First Name
Harry
Boat Make
34 webbers cove
Just sitting here looking at everyone elses engines here and i am wondering how many hours i can expect out of my 6v53 detroit?

Robo

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
1985 31' BHM
How many horsepower and how hard are you pushing it?
Those engines will go a long time
Hope you can hear me ok
They are loud
Robo

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

Robo

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
1985 31' BHM
I have heard what Wound Up said about idling 2 stroke Detroits. I had a 6v53 in a Sisu. Did a lot of slow trolling and would idle drift fishing if there was a sea running. Mine only had about 1800 hrs on it when I sold it. Think internals must have been really good cuz it didn't smoke and started on first revolution every time. That may be why I had no issues idling for hours. Anyway, loved that engine. Had a nice SS drip pan under it. Leaked a little, guess they all do.
Robo

Boat Make
26 JC
All depends on it's HP rating and it's duty cycle. At 200 Hp, with good maintenance only a failed injector, fuel jumper leaking fuel into the oil or a cooling system failure would keep it from lasting almost forever. At 400 Hp expect about 2000 hours with good maintenance. They are not as durable as the 71 series, but neither was the 92 series I had that racked up over a half million miles with no failures. Like Wound Up said, try to keep idling to the minimum you easily can as the 2 piece piston cools and tends to slap around in the liner.
All said and done they are good engines and a lot of what people see as oil leaks are actually the airbox drains opening, which are spring loaded vents that open at low RPM to deliberately allow oil to drain out of the airbox surrounding the intake ports. You'll see them about half way down both sides of the block with a 90 fitting going to a small piece and then a tube facing down. I just put something under it to catch the oil.

Last edited:

Dyer29HoldFast

Lieutenant
I have a 471 DD in my boat. No sound insulation. After working on countless scallop trawlers, a little DD doesn't bother me.
Run her 1800 mostly-sometimes 2100 here and there.
No telling how many hours are on it. I know I've put A LOT of time on her since owning the boat 6 years.
Been a good engine but its heavy, which in a way I like only cuz the boat isn't bobbing around like a cork in bad weather. I really need to repower the boat. I really need a 300hp diesel so I can get up to 20kts.

First Name
Harry
Boat Make
34 webbers cove
I have a 471 DD in my boat. No sound insulation. After working on countless scallop trawlers, a little DD doesn't bother me.
Run her 1800 mostly-sometimes 2100 here and there.
No telling how many hours are on it. I know I've put A LOT of time on her since owning the boat 6 years.
Been a good engine but its heavy, which in a way I like only cuz the boat isn't bobbing around like a cork in bad weather. I really need to repower the boat. I really need a 300hp diesel so I can get up to 20kts.
I love my engine. Starts everytime ,Lots of torque and doesnt smoke. Only thing is she is loud but i think its kind of badass sometimes when im smashing through waves

Sigarm

Lieutenant
How that engine is loaded a easy 5000+ with good maintenance. Honestly if you run the boat every other day to keep down the marine age you could probably double those hours. Have to agree on the badass

ytmarine

Lieutenant
First Name
Whitey
Boat Make
Webbers Cove / Morse 34
I pulled my 6v53N with 4540 hrs and replaced with Yanmar 6LYA-STE and regained my hearing. Also the boat doesn't smell like lube oil and the bilge is spotless!

Top Bottom