How much Packing for 1 3/4 box

mattinri

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Nordhavn 46
The packing in my stuffing box is 1/2" PTFE and has probably been in there since the shaft was replaced in 2008. I figure I'll replace it this winter with the Duramax Ultra X packing. The shaft is 1 3/4". What would be a conservative estimate for how many inches of packing I might need to do the job? I've never repacked a stuffing box before & I don't want to be short.

djmarchand

Captain
Boat Make
Atlas Pompano 23 outboard
Well, I'll bore you with a little math. The diameter is 1.75", so the circumference is 1.75*3.14 = 5.5" maybe a bit more since that was the inside diameter. You usually need 3-4 rings. So call it 24".

You can either pull out all of the old packing with a pick and replace with all new, or put a couple of rings on top of the old.

David

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Get 24"s. I would remove the old. Next install three loops of new packing. Each loop must be separate. Make sure the seams of each loop are staggered. Check your water feed for good flow. Adjustment on new packing is always important you do not want to heat it up by being to tight.

Last edited:

pyrofan

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
wilcox and midland
I've always checked the packing once a year at haul out. Usually had to add a piece every couple of years to the outside box. The inside box would last longer.

I'm old school and always used flax packing, another point my dad always insisted on the inside stuffing box having a drip of water about 2 minutes apart.

chortle

Captain
Boat Make
Herreshoff Coquina, 1972 Jarvis Newman 36, PT11
The packing in my stuffing box is 1/2" PTFE and has probably been in there since the shaft was replaced in 2008. I figure I'll replace it this winter with the Duramax Ultra X packing. The shaft is 1 3/4". What would be a conservative estimate for how many inches of packing I might need to do the job? I've never repacked a stuffing box before & I don't want to be short.
Link to a blog that is very clear with great pictures and some good details and tips.

Re-Packing A Traditional Stuffing Box Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com

Top Bottom