How much torque on prop nuts and do you use any Lube?

Shortlob

Lieutenant
Im am about ready to put my prop back on the Duffy. I used a Walter 2N Puller earlier and it worked well except I have so much clearance between the hull and the skeg (4"+ above and below the prop) I had trouble using a block of wood the lock the prop. I could only catch the tips of the prop blade in a piece of wood. Is it OK to lock the prop "tips" against the skeg using a piece of wood. Is there a better way?

The prop is a 22" diameter and the shaft is 2". Should I torque the prop nuts and if so do you torque both of just the first one to go on. What should be my torque setting be?

I have read conflicting opinion about using some type of grease or lubricant on the shaft when seating the prop. My machinest friend who does not work on boats but works on heavy equipment says the lubricant may overseat the prop and make it harder to get off. On the other hand I hate the thought of a dry conection in salt water between two metal parts. What about lubricant? Sorry for all the questions. Gotta get help from the experts when I can!! Thanks

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Im am about ready to put my prop back on the Duffy. I used a Walter 2N Puller earlier and it worked well except I have so much clearance between the hull and the skeg (4"+ above and below the prop) I had trouble using a block of wood the lock the prop. I could only catch the tips of the prop blade in a piece of wood. Is it OK to lock the prop "tips" against the skeg using a piece of wood. Is there a better way?

The prop is a 22" diameter and the shaft is 2". Should I torque the prop nuts and if so do you torque both of just the first one to go on. What should be my torque setting be?

I have read conflicting opinion about using some type of grease or lubricant on the shaft when seating the prop. My machinest friend who does not work on boats but works on heavy equipment says the lubricant may overseat the prop and make it harder to get off. On the other hand I hate the thought of a dry conection in salt water between two metal parts. What about lubricant? Sorry for all the questions. Gotta get help from the experts when I can!! Thanks

NO!!!!! Never block the tip you can bend a blade real easy! A big No No. Always block at the hub where the wheel is the strongest.

z.jpg

zzz.jpg

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
All good stuff to be read in these posts.

As for lubing. I really like everything just super clean. I wipe and brush the shaft, keyway & inside hub with Actone 1st. That gets it all super clean. Next I spray a very light mist of WD 40. Re-wipe again with a clean new cloth, then start you assembly as per the above posts.
Also keep in mind that any heavy lubes can also act a insulators on your bonding system, so good metal to metal contact on shaft & wheel is very key.

chortle

Captain
Boat Make
Herreshoff Coquina, 1972 Jarvis Newman 36, PT11

A little more info on lubrication of props from another well respected and experienced voice..

Propeller installation / Big Nut vs. Little Nut

And the big nut little nut conundrum has been discussed on this forum before so you might want to check that out

http://downeastboatforum.com/downeast-boat-general-discussion/prop-nuts-7783.html
The Use of Two Nuts to Prevent Self Loosening of Fasteners

Shortlob

Lieutenant
Thanks Guys, CaptLarry, Wish I had seen these pics before I blocked the prop. It was getting dark and I was in a hurry so I blocked it against the tip. Anyone use a torque wrench to put prop back? Just curious if I need to torque it.

Top Bottom