how old is old on diesel engine

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
Have a friend with 471 that is 43 years and still running! in a Stanley, one major. Runs as a lobster and stick boat, although the pulpit hasn't be on in a few years. still a screaming Jimmy. 2 stroke 105 HP NA @ 1800 RPMs. On a calm day you can hear it for miles. Not relevant to new motors but part of marine history for sure. When I asked him how often he changes the oil in the TD gear he said "whenever the line blows" . true story.
if there's no oil under it...there's no oil in it. :)

ErikT

Captain
Lite User
First Name
Erik
Boat Make
Crowley Beal 28

Tunacious

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Blackman
We had a 3-53 Detroit in a 38' x' 12 wood novi. Can you imagine putting a 101 HP engine in a 38' boat today? That engine was LOUD but it always started, always ran and pushed that boat at 10 knot cruise and 12 Knots wide open for the 10 years we owned her. Mechanical everything, even the gauges. Oil in the bilge was a commonplace ... my dad used to joke that as long as we kept adding oil we didn't really have to change it because it was flowing right through. Super simple and even I could work on it.
We had a portable pump at work that was powered by a 3-53. Loud did not begin to describe that setup. Exhaust pipe wnet stright up into the air. Double hearing protection had no effect at all.

Top Bottom