How to fish seabass pots?

fordy

Commander
Looking for some advice on what to bait the pots with and how early/late in the season they fish and soak time. They're typical lobster pot converts but I also have a few large cube scup traps that im looking to fish this year.

Time has gotten away from me and looking to let the pots do some of the work of the R&R I do.

Thanks guys!

Mvywheels

Commander
Boat Make
RI Marine
Looking for some advice on what to bait the pots with and how early/late in the season they fish and soak time. They're typical lobster pot converts but I also have a few large cube scup traps that im looking to fish this year.

Time has gotten away from me and looking to let the pots do some of the work of the R&R I do.

Thanks guys!

Not sure where your located this is what i know for ma right or wrong this is my understanding. We always hammered rod and reel during the spring spawn but they changed the opener to August last year. I thought it was illegal to bait them in Ma? But a few guys I know that have a pot permit leave them on a 2 day soak with no bait. But I also know a guy or two that bait them with sea clam bellies. Regarding the time to set them, you need to check the Ma DMF site or call the quota line for season opening dates and quota. They choose when u can and can't go, once it opens it's a race to fill the quota. We're lucky to get 3 weeks outta it since all the rod and reel and pot guys are going full bore.

If your not in Ma I would suggest checking out your sates division of marine fisheries web site or giving them a call for the rules and regs.

fordy

Commander
Im RI commercial just starting out. Last year I used r and r with good success I just was given some good pots to use this year and couldn't find info anywhere. I had thought they were habitat style traps but they came with bait bags or bait doors.
Anymore info would be great, very interested in this style of fishing

Mvywheels

Commander
Boat Make
RI Marine
2014 COMMERCIAL FISHERIES

"Restricted finfish" indicated in Red
Trip limits and open fisheries are subject to change. To participate in commercial fisheries a Rhode Island commercial fishing license and appropriate endorsements are required.
For current COMMERCIAL TRIP LIMITS call 423-1920
SPECIES

MINIMUM SIZE

SEASON

CURRENT
COMMERCIAL
TRIP LIMIT

Black sea bass
11"

Sub-Periods
1/1 - 4/30 - 25%
5/1 - 6/30 - 25%
7/1 - 7/31 - 19.5%
CLOSED 8/1 - 8/31
9/1 - 10/31 - 19.5%
11/1 - 12/31 - 11%

250 lbs/vsl/day

fordy

Commander
I dont think i was clear enough. Im familiar with the regulations and The ri season lasts all year basically so I'm just looking to know what temps the sea bass are better to pot vs rod and reel. Tips on fishing them and soak time, stuff like that. MA guys might not know since they fill their quota in weeks not months but any info is good

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
26' Webber Cove lobster boat.
I fish them in RI. You are gonna want to use the ketcham style traps with the parlor and the bait tubes. Not the ones with the knit heads. Bait with clam bellies in the bait tubes and a bait bag as well, the bag helps the bait last a lot longer. Mid may to early june I think you will start seeing them pot. You will slam them if you get into decent bottom. Those pots are excellent for scup as well. You will do well. 40-50 pots will be all you need to make a lot.

Mvywheels

Commander
Boat Make
RI Marine
I fish them in RI. You are gonna want to use the ketcham style traps with the parlor and the bait tubes. Not the ones with the knit heads. Bait with clam bellies in the bait tubes and a bait bag as well, the bag helps the bait last a lot longer. Mid may to early june I think you will start seeing them pot. You will slam them if you get into decent bottom. Those pots are excellent for scup as well. You will do well. 40-50 pots will be all you need to make a lot.

Hit the nail on the head there J, talked to a guy here that's pots them today. He basically said the exact same thing

fordy

Commander
so how many seabass is a good average to look for?
I do have the knitted heads. ill attach a picture of what I have and another trap that ketcham has on their site

seabass trap.jpg

ketcham.jpg

jims.jpg

restless

Rear Admiral

When you say" not the ones with the knitted heads" are you using a knotless netting like King or Heavy Delta Style? Or something like plastic Vexar mesh used in Eel pot heads? Do you use the same thing on both the side and parlor heads? Just curious as most I have seen have heads made of knotted shrimp 2" mesh.

myentourage

Commander
If anyone has any ketchum style seabass pots with the knitted heads and parlors like the one in the pic ill buy them let know what you have.

myentourage

Commander
Are you the one who just purchased the mass seabass pot permit from the guy in dartmouth mass?

myentourage

Commander
I'm looking for rectangle style. I have about a dozen 2x2 .foot cubes I will get rid of for 30.00 a piece. Here is a pic. No rope or buoy included.

20140107_155225.jpg

20140107_155244.jpg

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
26' Webber Cove lobster boat.
Doesnt matter what temp it is. You will never be able to rod and reel 1/10th the sea bass that you will be able to pot. Potting them is making money. R&R is just playing.

Crazy Ivan

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
26 Duffy (sold)
When you fish these baited sea bass traps do you haul them often through out the day like scup trapping? Or do you let them soak for a day or two?

Top Bottom