how to get a boat w/o trailer off the vineyard?

CaptMD

Commander
Lite User

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
buy a trailer and haul it off, higher a hauler and have him haul it off, put it in the water and drive it home. I think those are the options. Although it's not clear what your question is. Sailor George may have had the boat you are talking about? Use the search function top right, if you want to contact him or information on his actions.

Ernie

Commander
My memory is a bit foggy on this so don't hold my feet to the fire on the details. It was sometime in later half of 2019 or last year 2020. There was a thread about a boat for sale on the vineyard that was sitting under some trees and looked really rough and abandoned. Someone here bought it and posted about how and who he got to bring to the mainland for him on the Martha's Vineyard ferry. The boat had no trailer, it was about 22-26'. No pilothouse or hardtop if I remember correctly. Maybe a Fortier... not sure there.
I have a friend here in Maine trying to get a boat home that he bought on the Vineyard this summer and the boat has no trailer.
I think the 26 fortier that was on Nantucket is the thread your thinking about
The boat sold on e bay I think

CaptMD

Commander
Lite User

CaptMD

Commander
Lite User

CaptMD

Commander
Lite User

Codcruncher

Captain
My friend has tried to buy a trailer- 3 month waitlist.
I wanted to get the name of the hauler who helped the other member here do the same task.
I believe John's Marine in New Harbor Maine may have a trailer that is not spoken for...depending on what size boat you're friend purchased

ecottle3

Lieutenant
You have a couple options
I know that boat so you could haul on a trailer on the steamship as the beam is smaller the steamship beam limit is 12’
Or you Might have to launch it and tow it to the cape and get it hauled from there
Also might try packers and see if they will let you back haul it on a empty barge to New Bedford
Just a few thoughts

1rider

Commander
My friend has tried to buy a trailer- 3 month waitlist.
I wanted to get the name of the hauler who helped the other member here do the same task.
This guy is very responsive and seems to be able to get any trailer in short order if not in stock already.

xbskt

Vice Admiral
First Name
Jeff
Boat Make
28 Crowley Beal
A local hauler took the boat on his hydraulic trailer via the Steamship Auhority ferry to the mainland for delivery to Sailor George IIRC.
The same concept may work for you however you are much further away than he was although that may not matter to the local Vineyard guy.
If you do buy a new trailer for it I would be willing to haul it and your boat north for you if your schedule is flexible.
I have a dually set up to tow on the Cape and could do a round trip to the Vineyard to get the boat and trailer but not immediately.
Good luck
Jeff
Nantucket

CaptMD

Commander
Lite User

CaptMD

Commander
Lite User

CaptMD

Commander
Lite User