How to refinish bench backrest supports???

PatrickPresti

Rear Admiral
Hi Guys,

I have this bench I am looking to restore. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to restore the supports for the backrest?

Thanks,

Pat

IMG_1815.jpg

IMG_1818.jpg

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
They look like Chrome on brass. Very expensive to re-chrome them. I would have them sandblashed & powder coated. Action Powder Coating on L.I. does excellent work. The wood is easy.

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
If you want them to look like the areas under the wood, you might consider sending them out to a metal polishing firm where they can belt-sand/grind the rough cast portions then polish it all.

Beautiful bronze brackets by the way.

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
I am a fan of the polished look, but without any protection from the elements it requires constant attention if you want the shine to last. So as a compromize to Brooksie & Capt Larry's suggentions, you might want to consider a clear powder coat finish after a good cleaning/polishing. Then you get the best of both worlds.........at least until the powder coat eventually fails. With freshly finished mahogany and shiny brackets, that would be a hard seat to beat, and not very common! (Your secret is safe with me - I won't tell Santa why he had to use a milk crate this year.) Good luck with it.

PatrickPresti

Rear Admiral
Thanks for the reply guys. I would like the look of plain old bronze. I never knew there was such a thing as a clear power coat. Great to know! Thanks.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Are/were they chromed? Hard to tell to me anyway from the pics.

Looks like they werent so maybe you should just try going after them with the buffing wheel to see what you get? Would be free if you have one. The rough spots might be fine too.

PatrickPresti

Rear Admiral
Hey Guys,

I was able to sandblast off the finish (See attached pictures). Any thoughts on how I should refinish the brackets?

Thanks,

Pat

IMG_1917.jpg

IMG_1918.jpg

chortle

Captain
Boat Make
Herreshoff Coquina, 1972 Jarvis Newman 36, PT11
You can sand them by hand. Start with 220 dry paper or a sanding sponge that will work when wet. Progress to wet sanding with 320, 400 and 600. Just like sanding wood with the grain you should sand consistently in one direction. It won't take long, the bronze is pretty soft. It will shine like a mirror when you are done. If you don't spray it with a clear acrylic sealer it will begin to age and get that nice bronze patina that needs nothing more than a fresh water rinse or a little vinegar and water wash to keep it from getting crusty with salt. Photo of what I did with 220 dry sandpaper attached, if that level of finish works for you then go for it. If you take it to 600 grit wet sand it will look even finer.

bronze bracket refinished.jpg

OLD BAY

Captain
Lite User
First Name
Eric
Boat Make
Shelter Island 38

PatrickPresti

Rear Admiral
OK now that you saved yourself some dough by sandblasting, you can spend a bunch of time repairing the damage you just caused. Penny wise $ foolish. Sorry JMHO

I sand blasted it off because the original finish was flaking off in the first place. The damage was already done because it was 50+ years old.

Beyond Tom's

Commander
Boat Make
31 JC
Beyond Tom 's

I would have the supports blasted and powder coated white. The wood work sanded and apply 3 coats of cetol and one gloss coat. I refinished a old mahogany chair on my boat this way and it came out gorgeous.

image.jpg

PatrickPresti

Rear Admiral
Does anyone have any reccomendations on a company to chrome my bench brackets? Any reccomendations would be greatly appreciated.

Pat

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
I have used Paul's Custom Plating out of PA. Very high quality work and they followed their shcedule on time. Will send them more when the time comes. Google them for more info.

Top Bottom