how to set up a throttle lock for a trolling valve

samhop

Lieutenant Commander
anyone know how to rig a throttle lock that will engage when trolling valve is engaged to prevent over powering and cooking my clutch pack again :eek:.

Last edited:

Tuna Pursuit

Rear Admiral
Website
www.oliverwelding.com
Boat Make
Thunnus
You'll find, at least on my set up which are cummins B w/twin disc, they work better up around 1000 rpm. I think 1200 is max when trolling valve is open. You may already have this or know this but a gear temp gauge, a pall filter, and a thermostatic valve are important for it to work right. Sorry if I am stating the obvious. As you use the valve the gear oil temp drops which changes the viscosity which makes it engage more. With the thermostatic valve it will keep the gear oil right at 150.

samhop

Lieutenant Commander
ya im jest trying to noodle out a way to prevent me from over revving the clutch. i use it hauling trawls, grappling and to hold position in the current when are FUBAR or the square end is burning daylight.

I was thinking of a short cable that would engage a stop to prevent me from throttling up before the valve is engaged. I use a shock cord hold down on the valve control when steaming as a safety. But i spaced out and hooked it up with the valve at about 50% and smoked the forward clutch pack. forwerd still works, not draging but when i use the valve the gear jest grabs, no slip in forward revers still works fine, so i think i warped the plats .

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Trolling valves are tricky. The key is that only the captain commands the helm when the valve is on. I also have a very large red flashing light on my dash when the valve is in use. The light is shown in the photo all the way to starboard. I also have a tranny pressure gauge which act as my tranny tach when the valve is on. On my ZF 220 the gauge will drop to zero with the valve fully on. Next I advance to 15 pounds that gets the valve working. If I want more speed I up the tranny pressure to 20 lbs. less 10 lbs. My throttle is a single level Morse control. It works much better tan the push pull level as you can tailor the valve to get the perfect speed.
There is no fool proof way of locking the valve. The throttle is what has to be locked. Also no RPMs on the throttle just idle speed and work the level on the valve. Photo #1 shows the tranny pressure gauge. Photo#2 shows the light and single leveler Morse control. The Morse control is set all the way forward and pulled back to engage. The odds of and accidental engagement is less as most helms will push forward quicker than pulling back.

kristen 046.jpg

March photo 06 122.jpg

Eslang

Commander
Boat Make
43 Flowers
I used to use a bungee cord to keep the throttle pinned at minimum. After troll valve disengaged, remove the bungee cord from the throttle arm. Just a gentle reminder not to throttle up with the valve open

delucat2

Lieutenant
Some here put a coffee mug or plastic cup over the throttle as a "reminder". One guy has as a bock of wood on a piano hinge that he folds over to "block" travel of the throttle. Flips out of the way when not needed - Velcro holds when flipped up.

samhop

Lieutenant Commander
thanks Larry
im using the single lever Morse also with real psi gauge piped of the TD5065A.

Enlsing
bunging the throttle might be the way to stop me from over revving with valve engaged, im jest bunging the valve when not in use.
thanks

delucat2
I also like the block of wood idea it could be set up to allow throttle movement from 700 - 1100 but not over rev.
thanks

dont Morse and Kobelt have some kind of a nutral, limit / lock setup for there controls and couldn't that be set up as a trolling valve limit / lock?

Fish220sr

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
29' Webbers Cove

Tuna Pursuit

Rear Admiral
Website
www.oliverwelding.com
Boat Make
Thunnus
Is the gear temp gauge,a pall filter,and a thermostatic valve plus a transmission pressue gauge all needed to properly have a trolling valve operating effectively?
Have a ZF 630A 2.0 transmission. Thank you.

You might get different opinions but I say yes. You probably already have the pressure gauge. Even if you don't have a tolling valve you should have a gear oil temp gauge preferably with an alarm. By the time you notice you lost pressure the gear is toasted. If the temp starts going up & you stop you could save it.

Fish220sr

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
29' Webbers Cove
Top Bottom