How to tell? Gelcoat or Paint?

TwoRivers

Lieutenant
Boat Make
BHM Flyepointe 32' 1989
1989 BHM which was originally white. The person I bought the boat from is deceased. It was finished at Point Lookout,MD. The topside is dark green. Dumb question, but I don't know if its Gelcoat or Paint? Is there a way to tell for sure?
Thanks
Two Rivers

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
If it is nice a shiny it is probably paint. If it is dull and chalky it could be gel coat or dull paint. If it buffs out nice and shiny... it is probably paint.. Things like brush marks or roller marks could give it away as a paint job. If there are chips anywhere and the color is thick it is gel coat. I don't think there were a heck of a lot of dark green tops made so I would suspect it is paint right from the start.

Got any pics?

TwoRivers

Lieutenant
Boat Make
BHM Flyepointe 32' 1989
More Pictures/Original

Adding original pictures of boat ! Awlgrip Dark Green and Forest Green doesn't match. Paint over Gelcoat? Gelcoat over Gelcoat ? What to do ? While I'm at it ,is the white cabin top paint or gelcoat ? What did Atlantic Boat Co. normally do ?
Thanks
Two Rivers

photo (5).jpg

photo (6).jpg

photo (7).jpg

photo.jpg

dark_green_lrg.jpg

forest_green_lrg.jpg

Last edited:

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
its paint. That is one of the reasons why you don't paint boats.

It is a nice looking boat.

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
The top doesn't look like what I'm use to seeing so I'm not sure that is the standard molded top. I guess what to do depends on how much time and money you want to invest. Painting it will improve what I see.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Looking at the photos and based on the fact that the spray rails are also green she was painted. You cannot gelcote over paint, but you can paint over gelcote. I would not gelcote the hull. It is just too much work.
Paint is the only way to go at this boats stage in life. All Grip, Imron or any quality paint can be used. The finish with paint will be perfect if the prep is done correctly. In addition paint is also easier to touch up down the road
There are guys out there that can roll & tip brush as good as spraying. Both methods work well.

Last edited:

Ditchdigger

Rear Admiral
Looking at the photos and based on the fact that the spray rails are also green she was painted. You cannot gelcote over paint, but you can paint over gelcote. I would not gelcote the hull. It is just too much work.
Paint is the only way to go at this boats stage in life. All Grip, Imron or any quality paint can be used. The finish with paint will be perfect if the prep is done correctly. In addition paint is also easier to touch up down the road
There are guys out there that can roll & tip as good as spraying. Both methods work well.

The Capt. is right ! it is paint. Like he said, I have seen even wood hulls done with 2 part paints that you would swear were fiberglass. Even brush and tip jobs. Preparation is everything.

Top Bottom