Hybrid greensticks

ripta13

Commander
Boat Make
1996 31 BHM
Anyone on here using or know anyone using the new hybrid greensticks? Are they as good and strong as the fiberglass ones? I'm thinking about pulling the trigger and setting myself up with one but all my friends have the older fiberglass ones and I don't want to be the guinea pig. The hybrids are only about 20lbs or so lighter. I was told the direct drive waterman reels are the best since I'm not looking to set the boat up with hydraulics. Anyone use another type of electric bandits? Does the electric bandit really have the balls to reel in bft?

Tunascapes

Commander
I just ordered a direct drive 60:1 gear box in the last coupe days. To be perfectly honest there is very little info out there on them. There are a few comments on here that arent super positive. I have spoken to a well known guy in NC and he doesnt have much info either. I think most guys are using hydraulic. Im in the same situation as you and really do not want to put the power pack back on my boat. Im going for it and will just try to work through it the best I can. Its my best option right now.

Fishinengineer

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Duffy
Electric Bandit

I built an electric bandit with a 15:1 Boston gear box with a 3/4 hp motor. Using 2ga cable straight to an 8D battery it pulls good. Haven't had any large BFT but that 60:1 with the drag locked down is gonna tear something up. Line pull will be somewhere in the hundreds of pounds, I would look for pulled or straightened hooks, broken leaders, or ripping the reel from it's foundation. You better have a good stack of fiberglass arms on the bandit. Look forward to hearing how it works out.

greg

Captain
You can also find them here: BOTTOM REELS

And I believe Carl on the cape sells something similar, but he does not recommend them for greensticks (though he wasn't talking about the direct drive 1 hp with 60:1 at the time)...

WildRunner

Ensign
Anyone on here using or know anyone using the new hybrid greensticks? Are they as good and strong as the fiberglass ones? I'm thinking about pulling the trigger and setting myself up with one but all my friends have the older fiberglass ones and I don't want to be the guinea pig. The hybrids are only about 20lbs or so lighter. I was told the direct drive waterman reels are the best since I'm not looking to set the boat up with hydraulics. Anyone use another type of electric bandits? Does the electric bandit really have the balls to reel in bft?

From everything I have heard about them is nothing but great things. I honestly think fiberglass vs hybird the difference will be very small at best. I'd care more about what I was trolling and where more than the molecular make up of my stick.

Top Bottom