Hydraulic Hauler install- eastern Long Island

ianbw

Lieutenant
Website
www.northforkoysters.com
Boat Make
Sisu 26
Hi all,

I am looking to upgrade the Sisu from an underpowered and somewhat dangerous electric capstan winch to haul our oyster cages. I am assuming my best option is to put a hydraulic system together but happy to take advice. From spec sheets, it seems the Electra Dyne would be underpowered.

The cages getting heavy (good for us) and I want to make sure I have power to spare. I'd estimate that they are 300-500 pounds at this point. With proper management I should be able to keep them in that range.

I am looking for someone to help sort out some options, take a look at the existing mast/boom setup improvements vs additional davit and carry it through install.

I am out on the East end of Long Island fwiw.

Thanks in advance for any info, advice and leads!

Ian

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
hydraulics and a small pullmaster style winch would be a nice setup or how about a hydraulic capstan? I'd get a nice large diameter capstan head and a powerful slow turning hydro motor. Try called Arthur at Hancock marine(fall river) he might have something laying around that you could use, it seems like there is a bit of everything in that shop and he knows where it all is. 508 678 0301.
I don't know if they are still in business but Eastern Welding in Riverhead used to make some top notch rigging, maybe some of the long island guys know if they are still there.
Electra Dyne can put a 60:1 gearbox on the haulers but i think you want something that will hold the load like a pullmaster so you don't have to worry about it slipping on hurting somebody and with the pullmaster you'd be able to work the cages hands free of any capstans. Also take a look at http://www.surpluscenter.com lots of goodies on that site. This might be a bit of overkill !!
p3-965C.jpg

sp.gif
sp.gif

8,000 lb. HYDRAULIC WINCH

New RAMSEY model RPH8000 hydraulic winch. High performance for industrial winching applications. Planetary gearbox provides rapid cable speed. Oil disc brake. Hand clutch for freespooling. Overwind cable arrangement for CW rotation of drum during cable in operation. Drum rotation as viewed facing the hydraulic motor end.

• Rated to pull 8,000 lb. on first cable layer
  • Cable speed 50 FPM @ 15 GPM (1st layer)
  • Drum Capacity 170 ft. of 3/8" cable
  • Drum size 9-3/4" between flanges, 4" diam. drum, 8-1/4" diam. flange
  • Hydraulic System Requirements
  • 15 GPM @ 2500 PSI
  • 4 way cylinder spool valve with relief valve
  • 10 micron filter
  • Overall size 23 1/2" x 8 1/2" x 8 3/4"
  • Shpg. 94 lb.

p3-1011C.jpg
3000 POUND CAMOUFLAGED 12 VDC WINCH
Brand new, WOOD POWER, model WWMO3000V12BU winch. Camouflaged with Mossy Oak® break-up pattern. Remote switch with clamp mount for power in and out operation with 6' cord. Cam action clutch for free spooling. Automatic braking action. Pulley block included. Four-way roller fairlead and mounting plate included. Mounting plate connects the fairlead to the winch.

Last edited:

ianbw

Lieutenant
Website
www.northforkoysters.com
Boat Make
Sisu 26
Thanks for the response Steve. In case more info is helpful, I meant to say also that:

-The boat has an undersized powerwinch capstan that is simply not up to the job and was mounted in a terrible spot.

-The cages are sitting on the bottom (about 22') and have a line/float like a lobster trap. I was thinking about a hydro slave hauler or similar and hadn't thought about a large capstan head. I'll go check those out now too!

-The boat has a mast/boom rig that I'd like to see beefed up to handle swinging the load over the gunwales. I was thinking about rigging the hauler to the mast vs a gunwale mounted davit. The mast is stayed forward and to the sides with shrouds.

Question from a hydraulics idiot- can a system be built to run off the Crusader I have, or am I better off with/do I need a separate power pack?

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Thanks for the response Steve. In case more info is helpful, I meant to say also that:

-The boat has an undersized powerwinch capstan that is simply not up to the job and was mounted in a terrible spot.

-The cages are sitting on the bottom (about 22') and have a line/float like a lobster trap. I was thinking about a hydro slave hauler or similar and hadn't thought about a large capstan head. I'll go check those out now too!

-The boat has a mast/boom rig that I'd like to see beefed up to handle swinging the load over the gunwales. I was thinking about rigging the hauler to the mast vs a gunwale mounted davit. The mast is stayed forward and to the sides with shrouds.

Question from a hydraulics idiot- can a system be built to run off the Crusader I have, or am I better off with/do I need a separate power pack?

You could use one of these hydraulic pumps with a 1 gallon tank mounted on it, they have the electric clutch mounted on the front of it so all you'd need is a couple of belts off the front pulley on your engine to run the hydro pump.
Just remember that with a pot hauler the rope in the sheaves will slip/pop out if the rope moves out of the sheaves/plates a bit, not very safe if you have a cage hanging up in the air !! If it were me i'd rig it up with a high quality 12v electric winch and spool it with some of that Amsteel rope, no wire splinters to cut/hang up on things. Maybe even rig both a hydro capstan and the electric winch.

20130717_085950.jpg

20130717_085950.jpg

ianbw

Lieutenant
Website
www.northforkoysters.com
Boat Make
Sisu 26
Thanks- had a great talk with Bob this morning. Helpful but probably too far away for it to be worth it for him. Gave me some good other ideas and resources though. Thanks for the rec.

ianbw

Lieutenant
Website
www.northforkoysters.com
Boat Make
Sisu 26
Steve-

My original idea seems not too far from what I think you are suggesting. Hauler/capstan to raise the cages to the surface, then hook a amsteel-spooled winch onto the bridle to more securely haul up and over.

Thanks for your continued advice!

dt1

Ensign
Boat Make
JC 26 Lobster boat Volvo Penta AQAD40B/280dp
I bought a JC 26 Lobster boat a few years back and hauled it to Kansas for refit. I have the complete hydraulic assembly from engine electric clutch/pump, valve, hoses, tank, and reel. It was a recreationally fished boat and has been sitting for several years but was told it worked fine when hauled. Let me know if your interested.

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power

You mean something like this with a paint job ???
Hydorslave SS

IMG_1315.jpg

IMG_1307.jpg

IMG_1310.jpg

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral

I might qualify as a idiot?????

Yes, a system can run off the crusader you have. All it needs a couple open belt groves to spin a hydraulic pump.

dt1

Ensign
Boat Make
JC 26 Lobster boat Volvo Penta AQAD40B/280dp
Yep, that's a nearly identical setup to what i have on my JC. Not much lobstering in Kansas so I should just get rid of it. Gonna fish and SCUBA in the Caribbean in a few years on it.

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
26' Webber Cove lobster boat.
you could also go direct drive right off the fly wheel with a jack shaft and a clutch. I am running a crusader set up like this right now with a tc-24 pump. those belt drives are a pain in the ass.

Top Bottom