Hydraulic & Steering Oil

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
So on my last boat I had ATF in the powered hydraulics. This boat I assume has R&O oil because its the color of the oil as well as the half filled bottles everywhere.

I was actually wondering what does R&O actually stand for?

The other thing is when it comes to hydraulic oil used to seeing grades but not seeing that when it comes to R&O or tractor hydraulic/transmission etc.

What are you guys using in your steering gear and deck hydraulic systems?

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
So on my last boat I had ATF in the powered hydraulics. This boat I assume has R&O oil because its the color of the oil as well as the half filled bottles everywhere.

I was actually wondering what does R&O actually stand for?

The other thing is when it comes to hydraulic oil used to seeing grades but not seeing that when it comes to R&O or tractor hydraulic/transmission etc.

What are you guys using in your steering gear and deck hydraulic systems?

I use hydraulic oil for the hydraulics and AFT for steering. I was told a long time ago it didn't make much of a difference what you use as long as whatever it is doesn't foam up/ air in the fluid can cause slippage.

nick4634

Lieutenant
I asked this same question at my local hydro shop last week and they said that RO is a flushing oil and has higher levels of zinc to coat all the parts so they don't corrode but it is not meant for long time use. they recommend aw 32 for general hydraulics hauler, steering, what ever.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Ha, there you go. I do not see much about it online hence why I asked...

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
I asked this same question at my local hydro shop last week and they said that RO is a flushing oil and has higher levels of zinc to coat all the parts so they don't corrode but it is not meant for long time use. they recommend aw 32 for general hydraulics hauler, steering, what ever.

What are they calling extended use?

If you change the oil every 10 years? Or if you want to leave the aw32 in there it will allow the parts to corrode and the equipment won't last?

Top Bottom