Hyraulic cooler

hatterasser

Lieutenant
Boat Make
33 uniflite (old capt gig), 26 shamrock, 15 skiff, 21 beach dory
hyd cooler

I run one on my parasail boat off 1 in jabsco belt driven washdown copper nickle from lenco in N.Y. built in zinc last along time

hatterasser

Lieutenant
Boat Make
80 some degree water this time of year running pump while on a plane w/out one hoses to hot poor performance from hyd use abypass in fall to spring when water cools off for net reel

hatterasser

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Sorry for the reply thought it was directed to me all this is still new to me

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
It was ok for the last 15 years..lol........if you were running other things I would say do it...but you just have. 2 helms....in my opinoin you don't need it

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
I've seen this thread before and even more curious now because I do not have a heat exchanger. To me, I'd like a heat exchanger because mine like so many others runs hotter than hell, can't touch it hot. However, I have to figure this has been like this for more than 5,000 hours probably more like 10,000 hours.

I just have to imagine a heat exchanger would be beneficial from the engineering point of longevity. That however is disproved by what we all see, do and repeated in so many places. I just know even on the smallest of hydraulic systems outside of small boats, when we get on ships even on 1 gallon sumps I see freaking heat exchangers...

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
I never had one on my 36 W.B. and I don't have one on the 45 MDI...13 years no cooler .......lets do a poll.....I bet 8 out of 10 don't have them....

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
15000 hrs on the RP-no cooler. Actually kind of nice in the winter. Hand Warmer

John 40

Lieutenant Commander
I needed to install one, could have fried an egg on the hydraulic tank. I think it was more due to having a high rpm motor, single helm. After installation it doesn't even heat up.

Stinkpot

Commander
Boat Make
36' Calvin Beal
After the very first run with my boat during sea trials, I could barely steer the boat when approaching the dock; the wheel was wicked hard to turn. Discovered that I could have lit a match off the helms they were so hot. We immediately installed a Sen Dure (Ft. Lauderdale) heat exchanger and ever since then the helms and the hydraulic storage tank stay nice & cold and I have had no further issues. I have model 2254-1-7; it has two pencil zincs and other than replacing those, there's no maintenance. You probably want to remove it for cleaning occasionally though.

Install it between your raw water basket strainer and the engine. The internal tubes of the heat exchanger (through which the sea water runs) are very small and your hull-mounted strainer won't filter out stuff that small and you might block some tubes and starve your engine.

Sorry, don't have any numbers as far as cost, but I'd recommend one if your fluid is getting that hot.

Good luck,
Stinkpot

Curmudgeon

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
44' Stanley, 40 Webbers Cove, 19 Ocean Pointer
Hydraulic oil shouldn't exceed 120-130 degrees depending on who you ask in hydraulics, but definitely not over 140.

Regina E

Commander
Website
www.reginaesportfishing.com
Boat Make
35 Duffy #300
I know it has worked great for the last 15 years and I want to keep running perfectly for the next 15 years hence me wanting to remove as many stresses from the equipment to increase longevity.

Thanks for the numbers on parts. I'll have to look into locating it later in the week.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
That's stock Duffy steering. Something is wrong. Check your oil level and see if the oil is dirty or maybe it is burn't. Or the level could be off to low to hot to high poor circulation. You may also have air in the system which is making the pump work to hard.

Top Bottom