I Love Beamy woman!!!

JasonD

Lieutenant Commander
The name needs changing but man, I imagine she is some sea kindly. Cat power 15 knot cruise...I may have to forego the desire for an Osmond and go convert to a Calvin

cragreek.jpg

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 268 Islander, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Hope that plastic deck chair is wide enough for her!! I saw that boat at Pigeon Cove in Rockport when i was getting my boat on the trailer for the trip to Alaska. A few of the guys that fish out of there had their boats on the hard at the Granite Pier where my boat was, nice bunch of guys but then i wasn't going to be fishing next to them!

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Website
www.fishreaction.com
Boat Make
RP35
Just found this pictures and wanted to post them. This was an H&H 40 that we owned from 2002 until 2009. Loved the boat it was a true beast! Next to us in Nantucket with Jimmy Buffetts 44 Rybovich.

The other picture is when a friends Northern Bay 36 tied up next to us.

That cockpit was absolutely huge!

Someday I would like to build a 34' of her.

Picture 053.jpg

H&H40&NB36.jpg

Picture 059.jpg

HarborRd

Lieutenant
Hey Shawn, how is the H&H 40' in a head sea? As a skeg boat was she a pounder at all, or was the forefoot deep enough to not make it an issue? Also how big of an engine did you have in the Reaction, and did you have an engine box?

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Website
www.fishreaction.com
Boat Make
RP35
The H&H 40 I think whatever she made up for in lacking in any good condition made up for it with weight. Ha!

She definitely wasn't a pounder was amazed at how well she did. She was pretty good in a following sea. Friend with a Northern Bay commented on how that 4 feet made a huge difference in the ride.

There was no engine box, but there were two steps into the cabin, should see them in the cockpit picture. Everything was below deck and I would probably do that in even a 32.

We bought it with a Mack E9, 900HP engine. Then we repowered her in 2005 with a Cat 3406E, 800HP.

Picture 015.jpg

HarborRd

Lieutenant
I have heard that the Osmonds are heavy and slow....what sort of cruise did you get out of here with the E9, and the 3406?

I used to see that boat in Hyannis, right across from the town landing next to the Hospital....beautiful rig. I remember when she showed up for sale before you bought her too.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Website
www.fishreaction.com
Boat Make
RP35
I am sure it was slower simply because of the big beam that she carried. Remember speed wasn't what H&H's are known for in a way, they are meant to carry traps! That isn't a rule but just something that is out there, I think the 35 is a slender version, I think every other foot size used to carry a narrow beam.

I'd say 24kt's with the 900HP Mack and 22kt's with the 800HP. I know she maxed out with 26 knots on sea trials with the Cat. Cruising speed is whatever you want it to be there isn't a real curve persay, what can you tolerate?

Like in my general marine right now, I can do 7.5GPH at 18.5kts or do 4GPH at 14 knots...

Twin Fins

Lieutenant
Website
www.qualifiercharters.com
Boat Make
36 H&H & Paul Mann
Shawn.Hope your doing well.Great to see pictures of the old boat.Saw her 2 years ago in St.Thomas.I always thought it was a great head sea boat.I used a rope to break her over since there were no tabs.I'll never forget the day we out ran a 60' Blackwell in a head sea.As far as in a following sea I thought she did ok. She was a tank.I' ll have to find the disc with my pictures of her so that I can post them.

Last edited:

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Website
www.fishreaction.com
Boat Make
RP35
She was a BEAST!!! Greatly missed let me say that... TwoFins, what was your relationship to the Qualifier? I heard the owner created a 34 or 36 downeast a couple of years ago, maybe a few years ago now... ?

Twin Fins

Lieutenant
Website
www.qualifiercharters.com
Boat Make
36 H&H & Paul Mann
Shawn, I had twin boys.The Qualifier is doing fine turning 2 in December with just under 3000hrs.The H&H has not been used as much as I thought it would ,it's not a bad thing(250hrs).Still tweaking.Got something floating around in one of the fuel tanks(fiberglass) that shows itself every 15hrs. Had a guy come by and circulate the fuel with nothing found.

tunafishhkg

Captain
Boat Make
35 Duffy
I also got to say that 40 H&H you owned, had the best view from the helm seat of any DE that I have been on besides the huge deck. Have had many great outings and priceless memories on this boat including my daughter's first BFT thanks to Shawn’s generous use of his boat the year I did not put my boat in. I installed wireless bow thruster, new gen, underwater lights and cam before it was shipped to St Thomas. I later went down to ST Thomas to set the valves on its cat engine and gen, and we had a blast on wahoo, big mahi, and of course the nightlife! The new owner has since added cold plates, eskamo ice maker, watermaker, and new a/c units a total fishing mochine to say the least! I am sure you miss that boat except for the fuel and dockage bills LOL

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Website
www.fishreaction.com
Boat Make
RP35
Funny how it all works out!

Tunafishhkg and how about the first repower with the Cat 3406E, couldn't have done that without you! I thought it was funny that we didn't even know it was for sale but just wanted to get out on a H&H hull, three days later we owned it. That is one thing, the boat definitely has the room for all the toys! Some pretty looking woman on it too on the boats facebook page too.

Twin fins, have any pictures of the H&H that you built?

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 268 Islander, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Website
www.fishreaction.com
Boat Make
RP35
Did you put a Caterpillar in that boat? I remember talking to you a few years ago with that, what length again?Cruise? That is probably what I want to end up building in a little more than several years, unless you want me to buy a boat from Carolina again lol.

Keels Rock

Lieutenant
Nice lookin ride! Used to fish on a 38 hh back in the late 90s, how come no cabin windows? Very sharp lookin ride!

Members online

Latest Posts

Top Bottom