I think I can, I think I can...

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
I understand what your getting at there but I think its all about tongue weight and the maximum amount of weight the vehicle is rated to tow. Boats built today with composites are remarkably light.

MouseTrap

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Rosborough
I understand what your getting at there but I think its all about tongue weight and the maximum amount of weight the vehicle is rated to tow. Boats built today with composites are remarkably light.

Yeah, I was pretty confident in the little Subies ability to tow this rig. It's my wife's car, and she was against it (she loves her car). This is a brand new trailer for us, the boat is a 2002. The car had more than enough power to pull, but I had one ass puckering moment down a long slight downhill grade that caused the rig to wag from side-to-side. I'm glad I didn't decide to tow it from Maine to NH in one shot.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Looks like you would befefit from moving that boat back a bit over the trailer axle (in terms of tongue weight). Is the car rated to tow that weight?

Chum Pot

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Parker
Maybe look into a weight distribution hitch if a possible option it will level that right out and improve braking of both car and trailer (could'nt tell if it had brakes)
An anti sway bar will help with the tail wag'n the dog.
Or.. use this as another very practical reason to buy a truck :)

Last edited:

MouseTrap

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Rosborough
Yes, I agree tongue weight seems heavy. The trailer does have brakes. Might try backing the boat up a bit.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Hard to tell from the picture but usually the post in front of these trailers is held on by a couple U bolts that could easily be loosened and slid back a foot or so. Axles usually on welded perches/mounts. Leveling hitch would be good too as mentioned above.

Been in a car where ALL the brakes went on a downhill pulling a boat and its not a good feeling. Think you will be fine but I would stay away from long trips with that little car. All it takes is one long downhill and the brakes are red hot and totally faded and then you and everyone around you is wondering what comes next. In my case we took an 88 Buick Estate wagon across the sidewalk towing a 15' boston whaler and were able to downshift the automatic trans and use the parking brake to skid to a stop before going back out into the crossing traffic. Back tires on the car skidded a good 75' though but only at about 15mph so it took a looong time to stop.

Bill_N

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31' JC Rowdy Girl
The hitch height is too low and the passenger car tires don't have stiff enough sidewalls which is contributing to the swaying.

Towing, and towing safely, are two different things. Just because your car can pull the boat it doesn't mean you should.

MouseTrap

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Rosborough
The hitch height is too low and the passenger car tires don't have stiff enough sidewalls which is contributing to the swaying.

Towing, and towing safely, are two different things. Just because your car can pull the boat it doesn't mean you should.

I agree. I think the boat/trailer/motor is about 1,000lbs more than the car is rated for. I won't be towing it with the car for any substantial trips.

Bill_N

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31' JC Rowdy Girl
There are a lot of situations you can get into when towing a load that's heavier than the vehicle is rated for. I've experienced a few of them myself :eek:

4breezes

Lieutenant
I would be more concerned about stopping rather than pulling.

That's very true. Most any car can get a load moving, if you're willing to abuse the car enough. The trick, though, is to stop your car and trailer when you need to. That small car does not have the stopping power to be safe with that load. As stated above, towing and towing safety are two entirely different things. In this case the tail would be wagging the dog.

jrg

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Eastern 24
MouseTrap -
The pic just shows that your priorities are in order - boat is bigger than the car! My rig is about 1,000lbs heavy for the 08 Highlander I drive, so I feel your pain. It can get squirrelly in the hills. I justify it by telling myself that I only tow twice a year, once to go overboard and once to come back. So hook her up and hit the gas!

Hope things are well with you and family after the move.

J

MouseTrap

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Rosborough
Hope things are well with you and family after the move.

J

Everything about the move has been positive except being so far from the water. That picture was taken at my inlaws in Harpswell. So it was about a 40 mile tow from Portland. We'll need a vehicle more appropriate to haul the boat with. I've towed plenty of center consoles with a car in the past, but this is just at the next level. I would be fine towing it around Harpswell to a boat ramp, but no way am I going on the Interstate again.

Guess I have plenty of time to figure it out over the winter. Hope all is well with you and your family too!

WC1966

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Webbers Cove 34
Everything about the move has been positive except being so far from the water. That picture was taken at my inlaws in Harpswell. So it was about a 40 mile tow from Portland. We'll need a vehicle more appropriate to haul the boat with. I've towed plenty of center consoles with a car in the past, but this is just at the next level. I would be fine towing it around Harpswell to a boat ramp, but no way am I going on the Interstate again.

Guess I have plenty of time to figure it out over the winter. Hope all is well with you and your family too!
I use to pay a friend $100 buck to haul my boat and trailer, twice a year, lot cheaper that owning and insuring a 3rd vehicle to use 2 times a year. Offering cash instead of asking for a favor keeps seems to work better in my experience. You have options and that is a good thing:roll:

MouseTrap

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Rosborough
I have an offer for the use of a truck to bring the boat/trailer to NH in the spring, which is great! We are in Hollis, which is to the West of Nashua. We won't be keeping the boat in the water, as we check out our options. Nothing is convenient, at least an hour and 60 miles on Interstates. So, a real tow vehicle will be needed. I'm in a conundrum as my car (another Subaru) is leased for another 18 months.

Top Bottom