Ideas for small console layout

Jangles

1st Mate
As part of the restoration, I'm repowering and thus updating the console. It's only 20x20 and the top has a half bevel.

Originally the wheel is off to the lower left and the binnacle is upper right. Somewhat of a reach it seems. I don't think I can get the wheel side by side with the controls.

New Honda top mount, and will have tach, hour, and key panel. I have trim and fuel guages too, but may not mount them.

Just use the same layout? Looking for ideas...

blackdiamond296

1st Mate
Boat Make
Alan Johnson 28 w/ 260 Yanmar
Do you already have the top mount controls? Could you swap them out for side mount?

I agree, if you're looking to keep the console and minimize glass work a side mount engine control looks like the best option.

For gauges, a box built out of starboard on the top, flat part of the console would be nice- give the gauges a nice viewing angle and make for a clean look.

Brooksie

Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
What about a 4 x 6 extension to the side where the old trim buttons are and mount the levers there in line with the wheel?

Jangles

1st Mate
I do have the controls already, but are new-in-box so it's not too late. However, I really would prefer not to side mount. This isn't a fishing boat, more of a pleasure cruiser for the family and I'm concerned about having the controls "knock-able" along side by unaware guests. Maybe that's not a legitimate concern.

I don't like the handle going to wrong way either if mounted lefty, but I suppose I could survive that.

As to getting a larger console, I would like to, but not at this juncture. Tracking down an affordable option is going to be tough. Driving to Mass isn't practical either... The current one is glassed in anyway (bit annoying) and I'm trying to get the boat on the water this season.

Thanks for the suggestions thus far. This weekend I'll have some time to play with the pieces and see what is possible too. Maybe I can squeeze the wheel and controls side-by-side. The controls footprint is 3" and the wheel is 15" Perhaps if I got a 13" I could squeak them in there.

Eastporter

Admiral
Boat Make
Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
If you are going with keeping your old console you might consider taking all the grab rails off the top. This will free up some valuable space needed for gauges and controls. You can always reuse the grab rails on the console sides if needed.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Can you post a pic with new controls resting where they might fit (pic from the top)?

Jangles

1st Mate
I'll get to the boat this weekend, but just for reference I put them back in the same spot as shown. Upper right corner, on the flat. I put the key panel below it and gauges center. I cut the handrail before sea-trial, because on the hard it seemed like the lever was going to hit for full forward. I think I could have shimmed the controls up slightly and gotten away without cutting.

Top Bottom