Identify this item that wasted my afternoon... easy one

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Maiden voyage on my new "yacht" today and overheated the old 318.

What it is it? First one to get it right gets to be the first one to get it right!

I will tell the story after someone gets it right.

image.jpg

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
Look like chunks of an impeller. I hope so for your sake, that's an easy fix if so!

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
El Mar came in first and both of you are correct.

Maiden voyage on my new Sisu and that is what happened to me. Engine started running hot after about 20 mins of cruising at about 3000 rpm so I stopped it. Checked the seacock, groco, heat exchanger and found these pretty well pushed into the water passages so I went and took the raw water pump apart to find that it had a nice soft new impeller. Who the hell changes an impeller and doesnt clean the heat exchanger? Maybe routine maintenance but you would still be missing a blade or 2 and maybe, just maybe you would know what happens when those go down stream?

Which leads me to my next thought as I sweated in the bilge of my mostly unknown boat for about an hour and a half.

Anyone ever mount a heat exchanger somewhere really accessible with a filter like a groco between it and the raw water pump? How about an electric raw water pump with metal centrifugal type impeller (mount a couple in parallel with valves for that matter)? Is there a better way?

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
El Mar came in first and both of you are correct.

Maiden voyage on my new Sisu and that is what happened to me. Engine started running hot after about 20 mins of cruising at about 3000 rpm so I stopped it. Checked the seacock, groco, heat exchanger and found these pretty well pushed into the water passages so I went and took the raw water pump apart to find that it had a nice soft new impeller. Who the hell changes an impeller and doesnt clean the heat exchanger? Maybe routine maintenance but you would still be missing a blade or 2 and maybe, just maybe you would know what happens when those go down stream?

Which leads me to my next thought as I sweated in the bilge of my mostly unknown boat for about an hour and a half.

Anyone ever mount a heat exchanger somewhere really accessible with a filter like a groco between it and the raw water pump? How about an electric raw water pump with metal centrifugal type impeller (mount a couple in parallel with valves for that matter)? Is there a better way?

Mike's (Plowin) post came in #2..Brian's (El Mar) post came in #3.., how did El Mar "win" ???:D

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Good point. I think when I first looked, El Mar was in at 3 min and Plowin at 4 but I must have had it backwards.

Hand over the trophy El Mar...sorry.

I am overthinking it for sure but a remote heat exchange would be slick stuff and easy to do. Is there any reason not to except maybe the cost of the hose lengths?

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Oh, and every boat I have ever owned was pre neglected!

I was in the bilge working on the cooling system and heard a boat passing and looked up to see that it was sea tow towing another boat. Talked on the radio and he was going to pass back my way after his drop off but I was able fix it myself (I was anchored at the edge of a channel so he was looking I guess) and told him I was good later. He sounded very surprised that someone fixed a problem on their own. I had all the parts and tools I needed (and it was my first trip on this boat) so I was very happy to have avoided a tow.

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
I thought you were first too El Mar when you both chimed in within a minute of eachother. Strange. Dont take it personally.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Sounds like you may be starting to over think this. You could eliminate the raw water side and just add a keel cooler. Not that I would recommend that. Welcome to the wonder full world of pre-owned, pre-neglected, pre-abused boats!

So what was the cruise speed @ 3000 rpm?

She did 11.7 knots at 3000...... S L O W.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Had the wind to my port and no current to speak of reallly. Its just slow.

Only makes 4kts at 1000 too. Does this sound out of whack to you? I will be repowering so will have to sort all this out.

Sailorgp

Commander
Boat Make
Sisu 26
you need a Chevy big block if you want to achieve the kind of performance you seem to be looking for.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Been working on sorting this out. Think I need to get with a good prop shop to figure out which way to go. Not going to get too much out of this hull but 16kt cruise is achievable I think.

Top Bottom