If you wanted someone to install new stringers and deck in So. ME, eastern NH or northeastern MA, who would it be?

MAArcher

Rear Admiral
I'm growing a little skeptical that my aging back will allow me to repair my boat this winter. I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for someone to do the work of replacing my deck, stringers and transom on a 22' boat? Yacht quality not necessary, but I do want a simple sturdy repair at a fair price.

I'm sure its hard to say but if anyone could hazard a guess as to what costs would be that would be great. Just wondering how many toys and organs I'd have to sell off to get it done.

Any info appreciated.

Jjammer

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
36 Stanley / John Williams
I know a guy ... he keeps a very low profile but works on downeasts and novis pretty much exclusively

Great work, very reasonable

if you want an intro PM me

leaky

Admiral
We've met and you seem to get around just fine - I don't think I picked up on any disability.

Paying someone to tear up the deck, cleanup, new stringers & deck - real hard to say as it's not my business but I would think 10k ballpark anyway. Honestly my back gets more of a workout horsing around panels than on stringer sort of stuff.

Myself I would consider hiring a helper to do what aggravates my body and supervise the work, ie a 20 year old who is extremely happy for $30/hour - let them do the hard parts or pick up when your back locks up and you concentrate on supervising and QC.

MAArcher

Rear Admiral
We've met and you seem to get around just fine - I don't think I picked up on any disability.

Paying someone to tear up the deck, cleanup, new stringers & deck - real hard to say as it's not my business but I would think 10k ballpark anyway. Honestly my back gets more of a workout horsing around panels than on stringer sort of stuff.

Myself I would consider hiring a helper to do what aggravates my body and supervise the work, ie a 20 year old who is extremely happy for $30/hour - let them do the hard parts or pick up when your back locks up and you concentrate on supervising and QC.
I'm not crippled, but if I work bent over for a couple hours and over do it, it can cripple me for a couple days.

I was hoping $5k would be the high side. So maybe I'll be doing it myself. We'll see what the builders have to say.

I like the idea of paying a helper and supervising. Hadn't thought of that.

I'm also just nervous about making a mistake, making things harder than they had to be or not having the project turn out well. Though I suppose there's enough advice from this forum alone I wouldn't have to be too worried.

leaky

Admiral
I'm not crippled, but if I work bent over for a couple hours and over do it, it can cripple me for a couple days.

I was hoping $5k would be the high side. So maybe I'll be doing it myself. We'll see what the builders have to say.

I like the idea of paying a helper and supervising. Hadn't thought of that.

I'm also just nervous about making a mistake, making things harder than they had to be or not having the project turn out well. Though I suppose there's enough advice from this forum alone I wouldn't have to be too worried.

I'd say - get an estimate for sure. In my mind, say the demo and cleanup alone, probably a good 20 man hours or $1000 to $2000. Prep work another 10. So could really be $2000 to $3000 just to get ready to do the job. But it's not my profession.

harpoon83

Commander
First Name
Colin
I would be cautious of hiring a "helper" and supervising them and expecting to get superb results. If they don't know anything about what they are doing then you won't be happy with their work.
If they do know what they are doing, they probably will not appreciate you, who admits that you don't know what you are doing, telling them what they are doing is wrong.

replacing a deck on a relatively small boat might seems like a daunting task, but it is pretty basic work. It will be dirty and shitty but at least you are not dealing with the full blown "systems" of a larger boat.

You could cut out the plywood with zero care. Then more carefully remove the existing stringers if you wanted to try and use them as a guide for the new ones. Or you can just scribe new ones in from scratch.

Fiberglassing is not hard at all once you have done some. Again, it is not fun work, but it is not difficult. Making it look good is another story, but if you just wanted a work boat finished deck, I see no reason to not give it a go on your own.

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

MAArcher

Rear Admiral
curious why the stringers need to be replaced? Water soaked? Rotten to the core?

The deck I can understand. Ripping out 2-4 glassed in stringers the length of the hull will be a project.

from what little I can tell they are rotten. It had a “repaired” deck when I bought it and it immediately cracked at all the seams. I’m thinking the boat flexes because there’s no structure any more. There’s lots of bits of rotten wood in the bilge.

I just drilled holes for a transom mounted transducer and there’s water weeping out 25 hours later.

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
from what little I can tell they are rotten. It had a “repaired” deck when I bought it and it immediately cracked at all the seams. I’m thinking the boat flexes because there’s no structure any more. There’s lots of bits of rotten wood in the bilge.

I just drilled holes for a transom mounted transducer and there’s water weeping out 25 hours later.
well that is lousy !

Jjammer

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
36 Stanley / John Williams
Just a transom job these days is probably 4-5k hired out

the deck cracking may be unrelated to stringers, and more to do with half ass repair by prior owner

but rotten stringers is certainly possible — how old is the hull

MAArcher

Rear Admiral
Just a transom job these days is probably 4-5k hired out

the deck cracking may be unrelated to stringers, and more to do with half ass repair by prior owner

but rotten stringers is certainly possible — how old is the hull

leaky

Admiral
I would be cautious of hiring a "helper" and supervising them and expecting to get superb results. If they don't know anything about what they are doing then you won't be happy with their work.
If they do know what they are doing, they probably will not appreciate you, who admits that you don't know what you are doing, telling them what they are doing is wrong.

replacing a deck on a relatively small boat might seems like a daunting task, but it is pretty basic work. It will be dirty and shitty but at least you are not dealing with the full blown "systems" of a larger boat.

You could cut out the plywood with zero care. Then more carefully remove the existing stringers if you wanted to try and use them as a guide for the new ones. Or you can just scribe new ones in from scratch.

Fiberglassing is not hard at all once you have done some. Again, it is not fun work, but it is not difficult. Making it look good is another story, but if you just wanted a work boat finished deck, I see no reason to not give it a go on your own.

I agree there is always some fear of liability like Jerry points out but that can potentially be the case anywhere except if you bring the boat to a brick and mortar shop. Just like anything, can be a huge liability to let the neighborhood kid shovel your steps or mow your lawn but a lot of people do it.

Whatever the case much of the hard labor isn't very skilled. Demo, sanding/grinding and cleanup.

Then basically when you get into actual fiberglass work IMO the killer is not having an extra set of hands - when I occasionally have had help doing glasswork what makes my life a lot easier is teaching someone how to mix a batch and hand it to me, less up and down and running around...

I might have them rolling resin onto a large section until it starts getting wet then I just come by to finish it for instance - especially on a stringer or deck that's what gets it done quick since they are big area's. Maybe the helper wets out the backside of pieces of 1708 and drapes them in place as you go etc etc

Dillion84

Lieutenant
Thanks, I've driven by them a million times and still forgot they were there. Just fired off an email too them.
I talked with Cabot, of salty boats, recently about redoing a deck on my 23’ seaway. I forget but I feel like he had estimated somewhere in the $10K range. He mentioned there’s a good amount of cost in cutting it out and disposing of it commercially, so if you can do that it may be cheaper. he’s located in Eliot on rt 236 before the Marshwood middle school.

xbskt

Vice Admiral
First Name
Jeff
Boat Make
28 Crowley Beal
I talked with Cabot, of salty boats, recently about redoing a deck on my 23’ seaway. I forget but I feel like he had estimated somewhere in the $10K range. He mentioned there’s a good amount of cost in cutting it out and disposing of it commercially, so if you can do that it may be cheaper. he’s located in Eliot on rt 236 before the Marshwood middle school.
I cant comment on the costs but will confirm Cabot is a good guy.
He has been help with my Salty 14 rehab.
If it were me I would give it a go myself but I am pretty dumb that way.
Good luck.

Top Bottom