If you've thought about getting a Mass commercial striped bass permit, do it now before the new control date

leaky

Admiral
You are a full blown diaper wearing retard. You just go in random circles like a fucked up bunker.

Holy fuck dude. Why be a raving asshole to people? I don't think he's ever been that rude to you.

Sure, he asks ALOT of questions, has ALOT of ideas, and an opinion, but I haven't noted this kinda stuff you are dishing out ever from him.

Stop being so sensitive.

leaky

Admiral
A couple comments on all this.

No I don't think MA goes limited access for stripers anytime soon. There simply isn't a valid reason - in the past the rationale for considering it was "too hard to administrate so many", so many was about 4000 - public opinion was not enough for it. We have enough trouble filling the quota as is.

If it did happen I've never read a law or seen a government proposal that said anything about 1000 lbs - have read opinions on it but it was just that, someone's idea.

Potentially if we go to a tag system (for fishermen) you may get tags allocated for previous performance and more tags once you use yours. That has come up at meetings, but we are miles from that point. A government idea, didn't go anywhere, fishermen are not issued tags currently.

You can transfer your permits to a new boat, potentially mid season, but easily when renewing by editing the registration #. I actually switched my permits between my boats, ie have 2, and then the following year updated one of them to a new registration #. MA says it doesn't matter, they have your permit history, but I did it (versus getting a new permit) to stay on the safe side.

leaky

Admiral
Lobsters is a lot different than stripers. For starters it's a real estate consideration.

I think requiring experience on a permitted boat is total bullshit, am in favor of a "get in line" fair strategy for distribution of new permits, but it isn't even remotely like the commercial striper fishery which is 100% a part time fishery up here.

MAArcher

Rear Admiral
Holy fuck dude. Why be a raving asshole to people? I don't think he's ever been that rude to you.

Sure, he asks ALOT of questions, has ALOT of ideas, and an opinion, but I haven't noted this kinda stuff you are dishing out ever from him.

Stop being so sensitive.
Scrolll back and see what he has to say about all commercial striped bass fishermen.

stumpstalker

Commander
Boat Make
22-ft. Tripp Angler inboard
If I remember right the Maine lobstermen voted to close the industry. Now only allowing 1 in if 3 or 5 get out. You also have to do an apprenticeship to get a license.
It wasn’t always that way. It used to be completely open I got my license when I was 12.
I believe you are correct.

However, businessman in most any industry would happily vote to close their line of work to new entrants if the government gave them the opportunity to do so.

That the Lobstermen of Maine, all of whom were current participants, once voted to have obstacles to enter to their fishery, thereby ending open access, is no surprise.

If is unfeasible to have an entirely open-to-entry fishery, there is no need to “commodify” the licenses that are capped, as has been done in many fisheries. Doing so creates a financial windfall for those that only had to pay an administrative processing fee originally for their licenses, and puts an inequitable burden on the new-entrant transferee.

One of the worst consequences of limited entry for established commercial fishermen has been the shrinking of their political base. Demography is destiny, and when the percentage of the electorate that are seafood harvesters is capped, and the percentage that is constituted of recreational fishermen and environmental kooks only expands, the struggles of fishermen to survive only increase.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
I'm not telling anyone how to catch fish, what are you talking about?
you ask questions on here about all dreams of being a commercial fisherman you have then tell everyone whats wrong or unfair about the regs or how its done. The circling bunker describes you perfectly. Many years ago we had a guy sorta like you gillnetting out of belmar,nj he asked lots of questions and always told us what was wrong with the answers, never caught many fish we named him "puddin'head".

Last edited:

CCtuna

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Some day...
you ask questions on here about all dreams of being a commercial fisherman you have then tell everyone whats wrong or unfair about the regs or how its done. The circling bunker describes you perfectly. Many years ago we had a guy sorta like you gillnetting out of belmar,nj he asked lots of questions and always told us what was wrong with the answers, never caught many fish we named him "puddin'head".
Jen psaki. Let’s circle back!!

CCtuna

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Some day...

However, businessman in most any industry would happily vote to close their line of work to new entrants if the government gave them the opportunity to do so.

That the Lobstermen of Maine, all of whom were current participants, once voted to have obstacles to enter to their fishery, thereby ending open access, is no surprise.

If is unfeasible to have an entirely open-to-entry fishery, there is no need to “commodify” the licenses that are capped, as has been done in many fisheries. Doing so creates a financial windfall for those that only had to pay an administrative processing fee originally for their licenses, and puts an inequitable burden on the new-entrant transferee.

One of the worst consequences of limited entry for established commercial fishermen has been the shrinking of their political base. Demography is destiny, and when the percentage of the electorate that are seafood harvesters is capped, and the percentage that is constituted of recreational fishermen and environmental kooks only expands, the struggles of fishermen to survive only increase.
Maine lobster license cannot be bought/sold. You either get on the waiting list for your zone or your young enough to do the apprenticeship. I think they have it right except for a few scenarios. But then again I think if you’re willing to put up the capital for a license you should be able to do so

leaky

Admiral

Well put - this right here is most of how we get to limited access fisheries:

"However, businessman in most any industry would happily vote to close their line of work to new entrants if the government gave them the opportunity to do so."

It just happens in most industries there is no such option, otherwise they'd all push for it. In fisheries, when things get bad, everyone who thinks they have tenure starts looking to the government to kick everyone else out or at least restrict newcomers..

Sometimes it is warranted, a variety of actual environmental reasons related to too many boats involved. Lobster is definitely somewhat this way but I don't agree with selling/transferring permits, apprenticeship, that sorta stuff. I think Maine does restrict the sale and transfer of permits, may be closer to correct than the feds or some other states.

We went through this for years, arguing over limited access groundfish charter/headboat permits. Had 0 environmental value if it went limited access, the numbers of boats involved was even declining naturally, was all about a handfull of older charter captains pushing for it - frustrated the same $$ wasn't there that used to be (while some newcomers somehow were making enough $$ to spring up new such businesses). Luckily, rather recently, the industry came to their senses and poo poo'd it, government ditched any further action.

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

Barnstable Seafood Co.

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Jake

Stop being so sensitive.
Hey fuck you leaky diaper bitch. Some of you have never worked in the fishing industry and boy does it show. Commercial striper guys are the shit stain of Massachusetts fisheries.

Your boy toy here, Jen psaki as we call him now, needs to spend less time asking stupid questions and more time figuring shit out. The guy is almost twice my age and still needs someone to tie his lure on for him. Will someone tell him the power bait isn’t candy, its making him retarded.

Barnstable Seafood Co.

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Jake
Well here is the guy we are dealing with who uses his business name online while being an asshole, probably not a good long term strategy there Jake Angelo.

View attachment 133921
What can I say I’m a handsome guy. My business is very successful thank you very much. Nothing I can say on here that is going to hurt my business. I don’t sell retail and I don’t buy from idiots.

Downrigga

Admiral
Boat Make
36' NB
I just stumbled onto this thread. Holy Mother of God Maarcher. You managed to ruin even your own thread. You asked a million questions about tuna fishing having never caught a fish and started questioning legit answers. Your going to invent a new way. Then you ruined the oil price thread. It quickly became a shit show when you became the over night expert on oil pricing. You have never bought or sold oil. The RFD thread, ruined because of your insane notion that you dont let the man tell you what to do and somehow safety rules take away your civil liberties. Right down the shitter that went and you have never caught a tuna fish. Now hear you are in your own thread telling commercial fisherman they are ruining the planet and they dont actually care about fisheries but you want to be a commercial fisherman. Not only a commercial fisherman but a fish buyer as well. Your a thread killer dude. The guy with no experience is telling everyone how it should be and sends every thread into the shitter. If i could just say one more thing. The bunker post should go down as the line of the year. That was facking funny.

Last edited:

MAArcher

Rear Admiral
Leaky your better than this.
So a privileged dip shit meth head pollutes the conversation with nothing but obscenity, no insight, no value, with the kids watching; but your reaction is to give someone a hard time for calling him out on it?

Your not nearly as smart as you think you are, I don’t care how many fish you’ve caught.

leaky

Admiral
Leaky your better than this.
No he isn’t he sucks maarches clit!!!

No I think it's ok.

Read what the guy posts then tell me you would do that under your business name.

It irritates me that he thinks he is above getting harmed by this sorta stuff. And I hate seeing it online, kinda doubt he would have the balls to say that to me in person (at least if we were alone).

I don't think anyone reading it would want to do business with him.

It's one thing to argue profusely. It's another to to just spout off this kinda stuff. His content on this thread is particularly juvenile.

Top Bottom