Ignition switch

captchuck

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
26' Seaway
Do you need a three or four prong ignition if you are running nothing but the engine off your ignition. In other words if the engine has no choke etc is the power to the gauges considered an accessory?

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Normally there are S for start, I for ignition (or sometimes R for run), C for choke and A for accessory.

To get to I(R) you turn the key clockwise to the first detent, usually C you need to push the key further in to engage it, S is the next detent clockwise. A is counter clockwise from when you put the key in, so your gauges would only work when the engine was off, and then they wouldn't be working so....

captchuck

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
26' Seaway
I believe that accesory also turns on when in the run position. What I am really asking is should my gauge panel be piggy backed to the ignition/run terminal or to the accessory one?

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Here is a key switch from a panel kicking around here. The Positive lead goes to B (battery). The lead going to the starter goes to S (starter). All of the gauges go to I (ignition). And the A (accessory) has had the screw removed so no one would use it.

I hope this helps you out.

KEY SWITCH.jpg

captchuck

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
26' Seaway
Here is a key switch from a panel kicking around here. The Positive lead goes to B (battery). The lead going to the starter goes to S (starter). All of the gauges go to I (ignition). And the A (accessory) has had the screw removed so no one would use it.

I hope this helps you out.

Awesome thank you!
So just to double check there are two leads coming off the ignition prong. one for the gauges and the other to the engine.

Members online

Latest Posts

Top Bottom