I'm sure this will get censored

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
I have noticed that most (not all)of the builders on this forum only use it to advertise their work, and actually offer no advice whatsoever as far as projects go.
This is a fact

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
My experience had found that not to be the case.
I have gotten great advise from many different members, but ones I know as builders only tend to post builds, or say they can build one for ya.
Once again, this does not go for all. For example, Travis had been very helpful in the pastt, and this is only my opinion based on observation.

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
Actually, there is an immense amount of help with projects that the builders give but most of it is done through private messaging. There are a ton of people that like to just "talk" about doing projects and never go any further than just "talk"(This too is fact).I have been to one shop in particular and witnessed numerous phone calls as well as people showing up unannounced looking for advice and help, all appeared to have left more than satisfied.

Eastporter

Admiral
Boat Make
Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
Funny Sign

Have you ever seen this sign? Most tradesmen or professionals don't give out free advice to fix something. I do think it is a wonderful gift to share their build photos with some captions. They are busy guys but willing to show you the time and effort for a custom build. Ditto on First Team F/V - he's the man on always sharing his "trade secrets". Thanks to all who contribute large and small. I did my rebuild before this site and it was horrible trying to find anything helpful on the internet. Classic Seacraft had a good site with some photo threads of rebuilds and I tried my best. Now people have a resource to find out about DE boats and some of the building techniques that were not know to me then (composites and vacuum bagging).

Unknown.jpeg

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
I have noticed that most (not all)of the builders on this forum only use it to advertise their work, and actually offer no advice whatsoever as far as projects go.
This is a fact

This is NOT a fact. It couldn't be farther from the truth.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
I dont know. I have recieved a ton of help from various builders here personally and I dont have 1% of the boat projects going on that you do. Why do you feel this way?

I am a building contractor and have no interest in coaching the world on how to cut a valley rafter or something so I am amazed at the amount of contribution some of these guys manage. It only makes sense that the a little advertising use comes into play if you ask me.

Personally, I think a thread with pics makes all the difference in the world as far as responses although more so for the general audience.

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
I guess I'm going about asking questions the wrong way.
I tend to post questions by starting a thread, and figure those with the knowledge, and intention to share it will help out. And many do.

I guess I'm gonna get beat up on this one.
I just figured a builder might enlighten us on some questions on a general thread without being called up

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
Nick.. if you pick up the phone these guys will answer questions for you.. some guys on here are taking 2 days a year off, they dont spend a lot of time on the computer.. we are blessed to have them on here in the first place to see their builds.

riskybusiness

Commander
Boat Make
35 five islands
I don't see what your complaining about?... you do realize that builders are building to make there living. do you know how many people want them to all but show them how to do something for free...its a huge waste of time and annoyance for the builders. you wouldn't show up at the chevy dealership and ask them to come out to the parking lot and show you how to put the starter in you bought at napa would you? there well within there right to not have o show you every step of how to do something. they have worked hard to develop the techniques and methods that they use. what does it benefit them to show you how to do it...im sure if you went to them and said you would like to pay them there hourly rate to show you how to do something so you can learn how to do it, they would be fine and would gladly help show you how to do it. but what ive seen from being on the builders side of it in the past is everyone wants you to draw them out stuff and walk thm through every step of it....but I have yet to see many people show up with the attitude of paying for the education just like you would at college. or any other school. or even showing up with a 12 pack most of the time. you should be greatfull that guys even post much on this forum, because it really is a great resource for everyone being able to find info and look at other peoples projects and see how you want something your doing to turn out.

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
Nobodys beating you up, try a PM to a specific builder. You might have better luck. Most all of us have seen people question and reasearch the living shit out of stuff on the open forum here and then watch them do something totally contrary to what was advised. Who has time for that? Most of the guys making a living building boats here are to busy to waste time with those types. They builders are not going to say that but its true. Not saying your "that" guy either, just stating the facts.

sevenjohn

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
novi
When I was putting the shaft tube in my boat, Ken Flowers took the time to discuss what the measurements needed to be as well as the placement of the cutlass bearings and what the formula was for figuring out the distances between bearing and all. Ken also explained why I needed to do in such a manner. Travis has helped me out also.

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
I guess I just got myself fired up, and opened up my big yapper.
I take all your points, and retract my original statement.
I knock off at 5, I have to remember the builders are often burning the midnight oil getting it done

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
No worries here. Its always good to get other peoples opinion, good or bad.

Rockasauras

Captain
I guess I just got myself fired up, and opened up my big yapper.
I take all your points, and retract my original statement.
I knock off at 5, I have to remember the builders are often burning the midnight oil getting it done

I hear you, and have done the same at times.

Everybody here has been very helpful in my short existence on the forum. And as stated by other posters, builders find time to stop what they're doing to entertain us schlep's who walk in to their shop from time to time unannounced...they certainly have their plate full in my estimation.

sailor of fortune

Rear Admiral
First Name
Jack
Boat Make
2 Home made skiffs
I don't think there is another forum where there are boatbuilders even doing posts. From the limited time that I have been here, builders seem to give freely of there advice and time.

raindropfx

Lieutenant
. ....last year I came across a 26' GM way up in Maine. . ...over an 8 hour drive for me, so I called up Stacey before I took the ride up. ....just to see if he had any info on it since it left his shop. Glad I did. . ...he saved me a long ride!! I came here to get the knowledge from the guys that own these boats ... ....If I have a particular question for the builder. ...I'll just shoot him a PM or call him.. . ..figure he is too busy actually building than typing. . ...I guess??

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
Any builders who have read this thread obviously think I'm an asshole. Rightfully so.
My apologies FWIW.

advice

Although I am in the business, I admire the owners that go through the learning curve to have the satisfaction of completing their own projects. When it comes to giving advice, depending on the topic, I do chime in. If you take the time to pick up the phone and call then I, like most builders will give you honest advice based on their knowledge and experience

sailor of fortune

Rear Admiral
First Name
Jack
Boat Make
2 Home made skiffs
Any builders who have read this thread obviously think I'm an asshole. Rightfully so.
My apologies FWIW.
CHillax Dude. Nobody is going to think your an asshole. :) We can agree to disagree sometimes.
It just sounds like you were have a bad day. Nothin a winning lottery ticket and a couple of Mermaids of the day won't fix!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::roll:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom