Inboard questions

ST1959

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Sisu 22
I took my first run in my new boat yesterday. It is a Dusky IB 23.

I loved the handling of the boat every where except in reverse at the dock.
I have read some threads about this and learned quickly that the claims of difference are true. The response in reverse as a means of stopping the boat when approaching the dock was where I really noticed a significant difference.

Feeling like the guy everyone is chuckling at on Sunday afternoon! :p

Time to practice I guess! Any wisdom would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

ST

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Weekdays! Just kidding, just something else to learn. Haven't heard of the Dusky 23inboard but must be sweet take off of the Mako with it.

I've been to the Dusky factory a few times and one time walked out with a new Dusky 20 that I loved and regretted selling.

Is the Dusky on the Cape? Must be sweet...

CCtuna

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Some day...
Prop walk! Can sometimes be a total bitch or make you look like a magician. Having only driven OB's or twin screws before learning about prop walk it deffinately took some getting used to.

Good luck with the new boat!

8943post

Commander
Boat Make
33 Duffy
Don't feel bad...we've all bounced off a few docks with our new single engine boats. Practice, practice practice!

I too looked at the inboard Dusky..nice ride.

bub147

Lieutenant
former dusky owner

I owned a dusky 26 IB for a few years. To be blunt it sucked in reverse. There is not a whole lot you can do about it. Mine had a tower which added windage and exaggerated the problem. The more you handle the boat the more you will know what you need to do to get the boat where you want in all conditions. I would try to not get discouraged and don't be afraid to give it throttle in reverse.

ST1959

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Sisu 22
Today

Thanks guys. Much better today. I WILL be there!:D

captchuck

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
26' Seaway
I have found trying to be patient and predicting wind current etc far more important with the single inboard. And like bub said don't be afraid to give it some gas the boat won't respond like an outboard at low rpms when your trying to kick the ass around.

Curmudgeon

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
44' Stanley, 40 Webbers Cove, 19 Ocean Pointer
2 types of boats

There are only 2 types of boats. Ones that have hit something and ones that haven't hit something yet.

fishcrazy

Lieutenant
point the boat in forward where you want it to go in reverse. in other word if you want the boat to back up starbord go foward to port then once the boat is in the angle you want it reverse with the throttle and dont be afraid to give it a little gas. I have a cape cod 26 center console. a bow thruster would be nice too!! when i first got theboat i looked like a rookie too. practice pratice practice

ST1959

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Sisu 22
Thanks

Good stuff to know. Back to the dock this afternoon.....

ST1959

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Sisu 22
Progress/Thanks/More questions......

Yesterday, I finally learned that the boat prefers to dock to starboard.
My next question is how to get off the dock! Winds and currents were light with a gentle easterly pushing me on the dock from port. I could not get the boat off the damn dock! Tried hard over to starboard in an attempt to kick out the stern. No dice! Just kept sliding down the dock. Luckily, I had the whole outer dock to myself. Tried reverse to starboard to kick out the bow with no luck.
tried spring line at mid ship cleat and then stern cleat with no luck. What am I missing guys?

Please keep the tips coming before I post the boat for sale!

Thanks,
ST

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
I see the problem...

dusky23-3.jpg

You will need to learn how to "jazz the throttle". Just a quick half-second burst of juice to get things moving. That little spade rudder is meant to just have steering while going ahead, and your propeller is on the small side for any reliable prop walk at your idle speed. Like everyone has said, it just takes practice.

DBM

Commander
Lite User
Top Bottom