Increasing the Size of My Rudder

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat NEWBIES' started by tro7278, Jul 15, 2019.

1. tro7278

tro7278 Member

I want to increase the size of my rudder and wanted to experiment on adding to it. Has anybody done this and if yes what are your suggestions. The current rudder is Bronze or Nibril not sure. It currently has two holes for Zincs in it so I could conceivably bold a section to it. I want to try to different shapes and sizes to see if I can come up with a bit less wandering in the steering.

Tim,

2. powderpro

powderpro Captain

Boat builder, commercial salmon fisherman
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    O'Neil
    How fast is your cruise? Bolting on additional rudder surface doesn’t sound like a good idea.

3. tro7278

tro7278 Member

Right around 19 knots. I will admit I have no clue what I am up to and am totally open to listening and understanding what I should or should not try given peoples knowledge and experience.

To explain it better regardless of head sea or following sea flat as a mill pond etc. The boat like to wander and it always seems I am have to make course corrections. Not huge amounts, the auto pilot does a decent job but it also is constantly adjusting. I could be doing 15 knots or 19 knots it still likes to do it.

The truth be told it could be the hull design and I am where I am.

Tim

4. Blitzen

Blitzen Captain

Ex Merchant Mariner
    Boat Make:
    Flowers Boat Works 46, 1991 Boston Whaler Outrage 19
    Normally as speed increases the less rudder that is needed, so as speed increases the smaller the rudder.
    Sounds more like you may have a problem with the steering system.

5. Ol Gilnetter

Ol Gilnetter Senior Member

You could also have hull restrictions to your speed. Meaning your hull may not like the speed. It may have some extent of bow steer that may not be something you will overcome. What hull? Have you opened up hatches to watch the rudder/steering hardware at speed to see if you have anything "moving" when you are not intentionally moving the steering wheel. At 19 knots you don't need a lot of movement to get a course change so look closely.

6. Genius

Genius Captain

Any pictures of the boat and rudder? Weight distribution can cause wandering issues also.

7. Cool Boat

Cool Boat Member

Hydraulic steering? I wonder if the autopilot is pumping fluid on the same side of the cylinder piston which is bypassing fluid/leaking down (maybe observe it). I had a previous boat that was a bear to bleed the air out too. Air being compressible caused lots of handling problems on that boat until we spent a hot summer day thoroughly bleeding it. Is there excessive wear or looseness in the linkage? We also have a steel trawler which had the Furuno rudder angle sensor go bad a few years ago. The intermittent problem cleared up after sensor replacement. Professional Boatbuilder magazine had a good article on steering systems a few months back too. Good luck.