"Individual Quotas on Comm fishing"

myentourage

Commander
Heard from a good source today that Mass DMF is considering doing away with the single bundle quota for everyone. They want to give all commercial fisherman individual quotas that they can fish anytime during the year, for whatever species they are endorsed for. The quota amount that you will be receiving will depend on the catch report amounts that you have made in the past 4 years. I am not a big fan of this change, what is your take on it????????????????????????????

Bassin

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Maritime Skiff
dislike considering last season was my first bass season my quota would be really small... plus com. bass fishing would be stupid. imagine if it was open in the spring time?

Now im more worried about this then my 2 finals tomorrow....

Last edited:

myentourage

Commander
Yeah sounds alot like the Lobster pot allocation they had, where a guy that had 800 tags was knocked down to 200 because he didn't show enough landings in the past years. So needless to say alot of people will be getting "--cked" here.

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
Heard from a good source today that Mass DMF is considering doing away with the single bundle quota for everyone. They want to give all commercial fisherman individual quotas that they can fish anytime during the year, for whatever species they are endorsed for. The quota amount that you will be receiving will depend on the catch report amounts that you have made in the past 4 years. I am not a big fan of this change, what is your take on it????????????????????????????
I'm commercial and I need to earn money. If I can't earn money I don't target something. Does that mean I can't go target something I couldn't make money on over the past XYZ years under the new rules?

How about if I go by what I did in 1976?

duxbait

Captain
My take is something like this will never pass. I'm sure they "talk" about alot of things at the DMF

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
They slammed us with an IFQ system for gulf reef in FL and made us all install the VMS crap on our boats. The year they used for the quota alotment I didnt even own my boat. Not to mention the owner at the time spent 9 months in the hospital. NMFS didnt want to hear sht about it. We wound up with enough quota for two solid trips. Not to mention as it was comming big guys started buying all the little permits up to get their quotas as well.

Fight it tooth and nail.

tunaless

Ensign
They did it the american way in Ny

They actually did it off of your tax return(proof or reporting), which is the right way to do it. Many long time "bonackers" who showed no taxes paid, did not get any tags (in the case of bass). They all cried foul, but for all us republicans, it is the honest american way to determine catch rate...right? Good thing that would not be an issue up here.

JoFishes

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Seaway, Kinnamon, Carolina
All the regional councils are under the gun to affect catch shares as they are also tring to do down here in the southeast.
First they are creating endorsements in different fisheries down here like black sea bass, now golden tilefish and soon sharks all based on historical participation in the individual fishery.
Then they will affact catch shares and quota cuts on those who remain. How they determine "qualifying years" is what disturbs me. It seems erratic at best.
Most of us in the southeast (over 60%) are against catch shares in any form and are fighting to keep them out by going to the council meets and voicing our feelings. We can only wait and sea what eventually happens.:confused:

Top Bottom