Installing a head?

Capt. Lou

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
40 H&H "Julia G"
I am under contract on a boat, if all goes well i'll own it soon. I need to install a head. there is a seacock for overboard discharge, not sure there is an intake seacock. I guess i could install a fresh water tank also and feed head with that. Any idea how much this may cost? Or easiest way to go?? thanks

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
I am under contract on a boat, if all goes well i'll own it soon. I need to install a head. there is a seacock for overboard discharge, not sure there is an intake seacock. I guess i could install a fresh water tank also and feed head with that. Any idea how much this may cost? Or easiest way to go?? thanks
For what it's worth I'll explain the way I set up the heads on my last two boats.

I use an electric macerator/toilet that draws sea water from a thru hull seacock.
The toilet empties into a holding tank.(choose the gallon size for your needs).
The holding tank is then pumped overboard through a thru hull.

The beauty of this is that there are no Y valves and no hand pumps. Somebody new on the boat hits the "toilet flush" button it ALWAYS goes into a tank. The "overboard" button is hidden, emptied by the "skipper" only.

We only pump the tank when offshore or @ the dock with the pumpout boat.

The system I have used is not cheap, just convenient.

Bill D

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

Capt. Lou

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
40 H&H "Julia G"
I have an electric head to a tank to a seacock below water.
I think lots or Maine downeast boats are are the same pump out way as mine.
I don't have a pump out fitting.
While underway open the seacock, it makes a a vacuum sucking the tank dry.
No pumps or any other mechanical parts to break !
how do you feed water to head? fresh from a tank or seawater?

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
Depending where you boat I recomend using fresh water if you have the room. In crappy water it sits in the bowl and stinks. Also if space is an issue you can go with one of the toilets with the holding tank built into the bottom.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
If you're in a no discharge zone then a holding tank is your only (legal) option. Will the vessel be quick trips where people on board can simply hold it or will there be week long excursions where the throne will be used. Simple questions like these bring up the issue of capacity. Too much is nice to have and too little is a bad bad bad situation. You could look into the option of having a LectraSan system from Raritan, zapping the offending matter prior to being discharged from the vessel. Won't make it A-OK for no discharge zones, but you won't have to travel 3 miles out just to drain the system either. No matter what you choose as a final option, it's hard to beat the economy of a 5 gallon pail.

6 gallon pails are a pain, no one likes their feet dangling.

unclefish

Commander
Boat Make
32 Mitchell Cove
lou I would recommend just do it right. Do a holding tank with suck out. And don't waste you time with the electrosan I ended up rippin that piece of crap out and I through it away. Get a good head and buy the best waste hose out can afford. Double clamp everything and don't forget about putting your vent above the water line. Myself and my friend put the hole system in my parents boat and it came out perfect. Another little trick when you put in your deck plates or deck fills drill and tap fiberglass and use a regular machine style screw. I used 4200 then just snugged up the machine screw. That way you won't get the spider cracks from using wood screws in your gelcoat or fiberglass.

tunafishhkg

Captain
Boat Make
35 Duffy
I agree with all that was said especially about using freash water,best hose, and using a large vent since its the lack of air that causes stink. I am almost always offshore so I went with the M911 with 9Gal built in tank for the few times My daughter and wife are with me fluking and the harbor fireworks parade. It has a external pumpout plus macerator. I worried about any stink when flushing this type of built in tank so added the groco SweetTank syst. If I had to do it again, for the $$, I would just buy the air stone syst they have and use any air pump. It was a lot of money just for an air pump and its not that quiet so mount it in the engine room. I will only use as needed since my head might only be used 4 times a yr.

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
I have an electric head to a tank to a seacock below water.
I think lots or Maine downeast boats are are the same pump out way as mine.
I don't have a pump out fitting.
While underway open the seacock, it makes a a vacuum sucking the tank dry.
No pumps or any other mechanical parts to break !
Hey Ronnie, I never heard of that but it sounds like a brilliant design, has it ever pressurized instead vac'd ? Any problems with it ?

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
Pretty simple theory.
Inside hull is a bronze valve attached then sanitation hose to bottom of holding tank.
Open valve while boat moving creates a vacuum, the fast the boat moves the higher the vacuum amount.
I've had people plug my toilet after shitting, get the boat moving sucks the tank dry, shit plug, everything.
Naturally I don't advise doing this inside the legal discharge line ;)
Nice, i understand the principle. Was just curious if it was hooked into your tank on the bottom like a sump, or side hook up like an electric pumpout. Is it a 2 in thru ?

Top Bottom