Installing Drain plugs/Garboard in hull

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
So I know I've seen people debate this down on the docks.

I want to install a drain plug in my boat, I've done it in two boats and trying to see why not to put one in this boat.

I'm afraid that my hull will fill up with water and have seen other peoples hull do so. Come back in the spring and its filled. Sometimes its month inbetween times I can get to my hull. The other aspect is really being able to wash the inside of the bilge in the spring.

Anyone have anything to say?

This is what I've been using...

Perko Bronze Garboard Drain Plug

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Where would you put it on the hull? I worry about shearing one off on a rock (not that I hit rocks or anything...) or something. Every boat I ever owned had one but it was on the transom which isnt an option nor is the rear of the keel really.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Wonder if there is one out there with a 3/8 square hole in it so the plug could be flush with the threaded ring thing.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Usually a 1" npt bronze plug is used, it takes a 1/2" ratchet pretty nicely and it winds in flush, either with the mounting ring or right into the fiberglass of the hull.

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
"Wonder if there is one out there with a 3/8 square hole in it ......."

Ah yes, the old square plug in a round hole routine :confused:

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
I have issues. I used to teflon tape it, then put a little lifecaulk on it, then put life caulk over the plug when it was in and then bottom paint it...

Sailorgp

Commander
Boat Make
Sisu 26
It's a small photo but I think this may be what Toolate is thinking...
Personally, I wouldn't trust my boat or my life to a plug threaded into fiberglass

pipeplug.jpg

pipeplug.jpg

hmscapecod

Lieutenant
How about one of these? McMaster-Carr . I would tap the keel and toss the plug in. Done it in the past without a problem. Maybe start with 1/2" npt 316 ss and if it gets sloppy or something you can always go bigger down the road. Get the hex head so the plug will be flush when installed. It is nice knowing the boats not filling up while you're away all winter on a ship.

Last edited:

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
It's a small photo but I think this may be what Toolate is thinking...
Personally, I wouldn't trust my boat or my life to a plug threaded into fiberglass

View attachment 16542

Ya mon. Thanks. The yard that removed the prop cage from my boat installed 2 drains plugs where the bolts for the cage were so this is a question I am interested. Was going to fiberglass them up.

Beamie

Commander
In some of my past boats, not DE, that I had a drain plug like that I liked to mount it with the flange/plug on the inside. That way it could double as an intake for a bait pump or outlet for a drain.

Of course depending on the deep part of the boat, like most DE hulls you may be hard pressed to get to the low point in the keel.

To me drilling and tapping the FG though it may be fine.... I would always be thinking about the condition of the FG threads over the years.

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
Ice in the keel=bad. Tarps sometimes blow off / apart.
The Perko one pictured above is the one I have used. Comes w/ wrench but 1/2" ratchet works too.. First holesaw in side of keel for the OD about 1/8 - 3/16" then smaller hole saw for body part, chip out between with sharp chisel, 5200 & bronze screws, teflon tape on plug. Done. Completely recessed and can't be knocked off by passing log.

010.jpg

Last edited:

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
how about threading one of these all the way down and using a recessed plug?

Thinking about it, I could see tapping solid fiberglass that is at least 5/8' thick or so (full length of the plug's threads). Set the plug in some good goo and how is it going to go bad. Really all these other things have more parts to get damaged and seal out the water. I would think that you would want some coarse threads though but most of these plugs are NPT so that should be good.

Think of how hard you would have to beat 5/8' fiberglass with a sledge to get a bronze plug threaded into it with 5200 out... this is sounding better.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Pic didnt load- could be threaded to the outside face then have a plug screwed in. THinking out loud.

image.jpg

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
To each their own I suppose, but how about down the road when the sleeve has corroded away due to lack of bonding?

Threaded fiberglass has worked for years, when it comes time for a new plug just toss the old one and slap in a new one.

Easy peasy and you dont have to ask for your favorite t-shirt back when you get a replacement ;)

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
I have installed a Perko garboard plug in a few downeast hulls they work great...west marine always has them in stock

Last edited:
Top Bottom