Installing sending unit

fullhouse

Lieutenant
Hi I have a boat with saddle tanks with no sending unit or port to stick the tank .I asked the previous owner how he knew how much fuel he had and he told me he would just fill it before he went out.the tanks are approx 40 gal,the motor is an Isuzu 6bd1 . Can I just drill a hole and shop vac the filings? I was thing of installing a floscan. But would like to also like to be able to check at the tank.thanks for any advice.

Fishinengineer

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Duffy
Fuel Measurement

I've got two hull tanks on my boat as well as a burn (day) tank. I have to transfer from my hull tanks to the day tank to reach the engine. The engine also returns to the day tank. I installed an electronic fuel meter meant for pump nozzles in the fill line to the day tank. I start out with all my tanks full, as I transfer to the day tank I know exactly what came out of the hull tanks.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
If you study your fuel burn after each trip and make note of your rpms, you should be able to guess within 5 to 10 precent after a while. Lot cheaper than flocans and all that stuff. There should be some fuel consumption tables and graphs for your engine at different rpms. I've found that studying those and topping off has gotten me plenty close at guessing my fill ups. And it's a fun exercise.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Senders are nothing but a headache. Plus the install with fuel is another problem not to mention what may fall in. The flo scan is excellent very accurate and easy to install, plus you will get a handle on the best speeds per gallon. They have a greats support group and it work!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom