Interested in oppinions on ride

Rockasauras

Captain
Giving a hard look at a down east boat for bass fishing and occasional run offshore...I have owned deep v hulls for 25 + years in past but never a down east. Many times I am unable to utilize the speed of the deep v sporties and would opt for the slower pace. Does anyone on here have any experience or would like to opine about a 31' Duffy I have an eye on ?
I am new to this forum.

Many thanks,

Tuna Pursuit

Rear Admiral
Website
www.oliverwelding.com
Boat Make
Thunnus
Totally awesome boat. One of the best in that size range. There are guys on here that I'm sure will chime in that either own or have owned the 31 duffy. I assume it was finished by atlantic boat/duffy?

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
Welcome to the DBF! In my opinion, you can't go very wrong with a Duffy. You will notice a big difference from the deep v, especially while on the drift. If I run my Bertram at 14 knots, it behaves nothing like a DE hull at 14 knots. Both have pros and cons, but I'll take the DE hull any day......especially if I want to log some serious hours on board.

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
That Duffy is very nice. Only bad thing I can say about the 31 is it's a small 31 foot boat. Great boat but step foot on one before you go driving to Maine to look at this one. There's gotta be a few around you. If the size works for you I would say make an offer, don't think there's many other boats avail right now that compair.

Hammer Slammer

Captain
Boat Make
35 Duffy
I bought a 31' duffy in September this year and couldn't be happier. I agree it is not the biggest 31' but unless you are trying to carry 100 traps what's the worry? I guarantee there is not a 31' beal boat that will pass me in 5' fts... No offense guys
Mine has a 330 cummins and cruises 18-19 knots at 2300 rpms which appears to be 10 gallons a hour or less. I have put about 60 hours on it (all steaming) .
I will be in the water for another week and would be more then happy to take you for a ride if you like.

Rockasauras

Captain
I bought a 31' duffy in September this year and couldn't be happier. I agree it is not the biggest 31' but unless you are trying to carry 100 traps what's the worry? I guarantee there is not a 31' beal boat that will pass me in 5' fts... No offense guys
Mine has a 330 cummins and cruises 18-19 knots at 2300 rpms which appears to be 10 gallons a hour or less. I have put about 60 hours on it (all steaming) .
I will be in the water for another week and would be more then happy to take you for a ride if you like.

Thanks for the offer. Maybe I can contact you ? Am on route to home today (should be there early afternoon) my email contact should be here on this forum.

Regards, Pat

Rockasauras

Captain
Totally awesome boat. One of the best in that size range. There are guys on here that I'm sure will chime in that either own or have owned the 31 duffy. I assume it was finished by atlantic boat/duffy?

Yes it was finished by Atlantic ! boat seems sound but needs some paint and TLC for my likes.

Just hope it rides softer than my current boat does at much reduced speeds. Like I said I don't mind a bit slower pace minus the jarring. My current ride is capable of 30+ knots but most days are spent doing under 20 getting banged in conditions my old 35 Carolina Classic could blow thru with ease. Don't need the speed anymore just a decent soft ride in the short chop and slop.

backman

Captain
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
I switched from a Cc28 to aNorthern Bay 36 2 years ago and haven't looked back. I dropped 4 knots but can go 19-20 in real 3' seas with 2 people sleeping up front. More important when it goes to he'll and your coming back in honest 4-6's or a Nantucket Sound vertical 3-4' chop, I can back off to 16-17 knots and the guys up front just keep on sleeping.

I did pound twice in the past 2 years and600 hours but backed down 2 knots and just slugged along without any banging.

Lion's Paw

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.divehatteras.com
Boat Make
42 Duffy
I have riden and driven a lot of v hulls. Owned a topaz, a hatteras and best fishing buddy had a Bert for years. While they are all good boats and faster on flat water, they just can't be compaired to the overall sea ability of my Duffy.

Granted my Duffy is a 42 and cruise is 16 to 18 kts which is slower speed, but I am able to maintain that speed in almost all conditions you want to be out in. If it gets really rough slow to 14 and it will push along just fine without a pounding. My wife can be below at the setee reading and have a drink parked on the table while I push straight into four footers at 18kts. There are never complaints about the ride from the passengers either and she is fairly dry until it is really snotty.

It is a very well built boat, could be better but i didnt buy it new. The newer ones are much improved over my late 80s version as materials and techniques have improved. Take a ride and you will want one, but choose a bumpy day...

Rockasauras

Captain
...thanks for the honest feed back on the ride Lions Paw and Backman. This seems reasonable although the 31 probably won't hang with a 44 or 36 I am hoping it would make those crappy days we experience during the striper run a bit more tolerable. Hoping to catch a ride on one someday ...may even consider the 35 if the 31 doesn't meet the needs.

Regards, Pat

Keep it coming if anyone else has similar experience going from deep v sporties to a DE

manni-yunk

Commander
Welcome to the DBF! In my opinion, you can't go very wrong with a Duffy. You will notice a big difference from the deep v, especially while on the drift. If I run my Bertram at 14 knots, it behaves nothing like a DE hull at 14 knots. Both have pros and cons, but I'll take the DE hull any day......especially if I want to log some serious hours on board.

Any chance you could comment more specifically about the Bertram at 14 knots VS the DE hull?
What are the pros and cons of each in your eyes?

I ask - because I am likely selling my Bert 33 for a downeast boat.

Tuna Pursuit

Rear Admiral
Website
www.oliverwelding.com
Boat Make
Thunnus
Any chance you could comment more specifically about the Bertram at 14 knots VS the DE hull?

I still own my 34' Pursuit but also plan on selling to get a DE. The difference is ours are deep v or semi deep v planning hulls. So after 10 knots or so we are planning & riding on top of the water. The DE's are semi displacement hulls so they semi plane. More hull in the water and with their shape they slip through the water rather than ride on top.

manni-yunk

Commander
I still own my 34' Pursuit but also plan on selling to get a DE. The difference is ours are deep v or semi deep v planning hulls. So after 10 knots or so we are planning & riding on top of the water. The DE's are semi displacement hulls so they semi plane. More hull in the water and with their shape they slip through the water rather than ride on top.

Yup - I got that, but thats more the feature - what is the benefit?

The last poster mentioned that you would notice a "difference in a DE vs a deep V, especially on the drift" - I would like to know how most people think a soft chine DE compares to deep v on the drift?

And I WISH my deep V was anywhere near planing after 10 knots. At 10 - 14 knots, Im just pushing water in an inefficient way. not even slipping through - just pushing. With My bert - I need 16+ to actually plane off.

Last edited:

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman

Manni - I have a 28 Bert. It's been a great boat and it's always gotten me home in one piece. At 14 knots in a head sea it's great. In a following sea it's not too bad at all. In a quartering sea, it gets a little busy at the helm with those tiny rudders. It seems to get pushed around more than it does at cruising speed and tends to wander. Forget about stopping if it's rough. You will not like it at all if you are beam to. The pro is that it's pretty rare that I have to slow down to 14 knots for any sea conditions. The con is that it's very tough to drift fish. I have been knocked on my butt too many times. That's why I recently bought my 24' DE Coastal. It's a completely different animal all together. The boat handles so well that I can do a full S turn at 17 knots in less than half the distance it takes to make just a 180 in the Bert. It runs very flat in the turn, and rolling is held to a minimum with the hard chines. If you go from a 33 Bert to a similar sized DE that is capable of more than just trawler speed, I think you will be very pleased.

Rockasauras

Captain
Yup - I got that, but thats more the feature - what is the benefit?

The last poster mentioned that you would notice a "difference in a DE vs a deep V, especially on the drift" - I would like to know how most people think a soft chine DE compares to deep v on the drift?

And I WISH my deep V was anywhere near planing after 10 knots. At 10 - 14 knots, Im just pushing water in an inefficient way. not even slipping through - just pushing. With My bert - I need 16+ to actually plane off.

That's what I'M talking about... Rock fishing in crappy conditions ( when they really get hungry). The deep v won't allow you to plane off like they were designed to do (unless you want a butt whooping). So you wind up plowing water and burning a lot of juice. Maybe it's better to plow in a hull designed to do just that ?

backman

Captain
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
Not sure anyone has answered the "on the drift" part. Absolutely no comparison -in my old deep V 28 I feared a night w/ seas more than 2-3 as the snap roll would wear you out. If you were below in the cabin all you would hear at night was the bang of seas hitting the side of the boat all night long.

Now w/ a DE there is no snap roll; there is a gentle and predictable roll in the cockpit without the violent snap of a deep V. In the cabin you hear a swoosh as the wave is absorbed at or below the waterline.

Drift fishing a rip on a DE is a non event compared to a deep V - you slide across the rip in a stately and controlled manner - you also can use the big rudder to adjust your angle so can get 15-30 degrees off hitting it broadside which also makes for an easier drift.

manni-yunk

Commander
Not sure anyone has answered the "on the drift" part. Absolutely no comparison -in my old deep V 28 I feared a night w/ seas more than 2-3 as the snap roll would wear you out. If you were below in the cabin all you would hear at night was the bang of seas hitting the side of the boat all night long.

Now w/ a DE there is no snap roll; there is a gentle and predictable roll in the cockpit without the violent snap of a deep V. In the cabin you hear a swoosh as the wave is absorbed at or below the waterline.

Drift fishing a rip on a DE is a non event compared to a deep V - you slide across the rip in a stately and controlled manner - you also can use the big rudder to adjust your angle so can get 15-30 degrees off hitting it broadside which also makes for an easier drift.

Thank You!

Rockasauras

Captain

AMEN to that !

Top Bottom