Interesting downeast experience

backman

Captain
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
I was in Hydrographers Canyon yesterday, 110 miles from the dock and a realistic 6 hour steam home. I picked up and left at 9:45, made my 20 knots for most of thr ride, but had to slow to 17 knots for about 5 miles under Nantucket when the steady 3' headsea turned into a steady 4' headsea.

Other than not being able to clean fish because the deck was getting soaked I didn't think much of it, past what a pain it was t have to go 17 for those 5 miles.

Till my dock mates in the yellowfin 36 and the Regulator 32 showed up shell shocked 2 hours later when we we just leaving a clean and organized boat.

They had each left an hour later than us and of course made 35-40 knots the first 50 miles. Thn in turn they each had to slow to 14 knots for the yellowfin and 16 knots for the Regulator due to the conditions for much of the last 50 miles.

The race doesn't always go to the hare!

cb34

Rear Admiral
ride

Ok I'll bite, so approx 6 hrs for the DE and approx. 4.5 hrs for the CC. What is the difference in fuel burn? Where do you lay down on the CC ?How was the fishing?

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
Ok I'll bite, so approx 6 hrs for the DE and approx. 4.5 hrs for the CC. What is the difference in fuel burn? Where do you lay down on the CC ?How was the fishing?

They get in there rain gear and sit in a bean bag...lol.....iam to old for that shit......I will take the 15 kTS....all the way

Hammer Slammer

Commander
Boat Make
35 Duffy
The guy with the yellowfin should be ashamed of him self letting a regulator beat him in. He obviously has no clue how to run it!

greg

Captain
Yeah, I came back from west atlantis yesterday in some pretty lumpy seas as well. Once I pointed the boat north I just eased it up to cruising speed and stayed there until we got to the mudhole, then we trolled some more.

Never a pound or smack. People in the bunks slept like babes. I almost dozed off several times at the wheel. Just cut through the slop with bow proud.

On the ride out friday night it got really chilly out. Just closed the back door, turned on a small electric space heater, and people were back in shorts and tee shirts.

Hot coffee, hot food, soft, warm, bunks. Smooth ride. I'll take it.

Of course, I was just a tad miffed saturday night when a couple of the sporties were talking about getting back in 2.5 hours. It was fac and I'm sure they did. :(

longislander89

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
23 seacraft
Alot of those big center consoles are still getting 1+mpg and they are doing it at 30-40+ knots. the 25-30 contenders are getting closer to 2 mpg. Yeah when it gets snotty they have to put the tabs down and they burn more fuel, but still i've never had to slow down below 20 knots.

backman

Captain
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
Say what you want but an experienced captain slowed his owners YF36 to 14 knots and an even more experienced boat owner slowed his Regulator 32 to 16 knots for many miles while we slogged along warm adn dry at 20 knots getting 1+ MPG.

I suspect those big CC's fuel burn at displacement speeds was uuuggglllyyy

cb34

Rear Admiral
Compare

Calm seas and the big CC kick any DE's ass, with that said it makes no sense to compare apples to oranges.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
I bet that had to be cold too :) I almost cranked up my bus heater out there on more than one occasion on the last trip.

captjohn

Captain
Boat Make
Henriques
I'll take comfort over speed any day. I don't have a DE, have an express SF. My knees just can't handle standing in a CC all the way back and forth. Beam bag, yea right. I've done trips in CC's, you can keep them, tried having a cold one at speed, I ended up wearing most of it. I've gotten back to the dock and looked like I swam home. CC's are for the kids, I'm too old for them. I like to turn on my autopilot, put my feet up, crack open a few cold ones, tell a few fishing stories, and enjoy the ride. Life's too short.....

Hammer Slammer

Commander
Boat Make
35 Duffy
I run a 36' yellowfin quite a bit, I think I have logged around 400 hours since 2006. A day trip from poppeneset to hydro we burn 300 gallons, cruising at 40-42 knots. If you are experienced in running that boat you can cruise thru 4' no problem, in most seas

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
In a perfect world I would have a 43 Lowell and a 42 yellowfin. I have no problems with go fast boats, there's a time and a place for them. They give you an incredible amount of fishing time and the good ones can handle some decent weather. As for anything overnight, I'll be in my Lowell.

Frank Grimes

Rear Admiral
First Name
John
In a perfect world I would have a 43 Lowell and a 42 yellowfin. I have no problems with go fast boats, there's a time and a place for them. They give you an incredible amount of fishing time and the good ones can handle some decent weather. As for anything overnight, I'll be in my Lowell.

Throw in a 72' Merritt for wintertime Carribean expeditions. Now THAT would be my perfect world!

captjohn

Captain
Boat Make
Henriques
Ever see the Youtube video of the 36 Yellowfin running in some good swells. Nice ride, right up until he stuffs the bow. Love the shot of the guy in the bean bag that all of a sudden finds himself floating in the stern of the boat. Then they start bailing out the boat, they didn't look like they were having fun. Stuffed my Topaz once, spilled my beer, woke up a guy sleeping in the cabin, that was about it. I did have enough common sense to not be running that fast, and I did pull the throttles back when I saw "the big one" coming. When your going slow enough you go over them, too fast, you go through them. Got an open bow, going too fast, guess where the water ends up?

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
Those invincible's are big $$$$$. There 42 is close to a million all rigged up.

Top Bottom