Interior paint: Latex?

mattinri

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Nordhavn 46
The headliner in my boat has disintegrated. I'm replacing the headliner in the main cabin for sound absorption, but I'm thinking of just painting the v-berth ceiling and a small section over the console that has a lot of electronics in the way. I just painted the bathroom ceiling in house with a mold-control primer & latex. Should I use this in the boat, or use a polyurethane?

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
I used house exterior paint from Home depot for the interior walls and ceilings on my boats. The great thing about it is there are 5,000 colors to choose from, cleans up with water and soap, low odor, and reasonably priced. If it's good enough for the exterior of a house, it's plenty good for the interior of a boat.

tunafishhkg

Captain
Boat Make
35 Duffy
I used house exterior paint from Home depot for the interior walls and ceilings on my boats. The great thing about it is there are 5,000 colors to choose from, cleans up with water and soap, low odor, and reasonably priced. If it's good enough for the exterior of a house, it's plenty good for the interior of a boat.

Being a new hull, do you lightly gel coat first and to seal? If not how many coats latex?
Thanks

Last edited:

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
Being a new hull, do you lightly gel coat first and to seal? If not how many coats latex?
Thanks

People use gel coat for the interior, but gel coat is about the nastiest stuff man has ever created, so I avoid it when I can. I don't see the point of using gel coat in the interior of a boat, but that's just me. I use 2 coats of paint, and usually go over with a third coat in areas that may have had thinner coverage. I just use a 4" brush and 9" roller to apply it. It's very easy.

tunafishhkg

Captain
Boat Make
35 Duffy
People use gel coat for the interior, but gel coat is about the nastiest stuff man has ever created, so I avoid it when I can. I don't see the point of using gel coat in the interior of a boat, but that's just me. I use 2 coats of paint, and usually go over with a third coat in areas that may have had thinner coverage. I just use a 4" brush and 9" roller to apply it. It's very easy.

Thanks and agree its nasty and why I am asking for advise. Did not realize how nasty till first interior experience and thought a half face fresh air syst. would allow me to see what I am doing. Wrong, the burn!!! Good thing I got both half and full face mask.

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
Zinnzer MildewProof House paint.
Best stuff ever
Accept no substitutes

JimRP31

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Willis Beal/RP 31
why not just use a 1 part paint from Interlux. You can always tint it if they do not have the color you want.

1oldbuzzard

Lieutenant
Acrylic paint on the interior

Wash , clean and sand as in any good preparation job.
Today's acrylic paints are incredible and they really do inhibit
Mold growth

Top Bottom