Interior shades

TCL

Captain
Boat Make
Sabre 36 The Captain's Lady
View attachment 97663 View attachment 97664 On my Willard I put narrow, aluminum blinds from big box cut to order. Also found light, plastic, "U" channel at lumberyard to keep them from swinging when rolling, Worked very well to keep it cool. Also cut to fit piece of silver "bubble" insulation for windshield, roll up and store easily.
I had a similar set up on my 29' Phoenix only what they did was to run a piece of wire vertically at both ends through existing holes in the blinds to keep them from bouncing around...I thought they worked very well.

For the forward facing windows we had a custom cut Stamoid cover that would snap in to place.

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
I have a physics question about blinds/shades.
Using them to keep boat cool as I was. If the shades are inside the boat, the sun comes through the glass and heats them, that heat is then inside the boat, what has been gained besides not having to wear your sunglasses?

ARC

Captain
Boat Make
31’ eastern Casco Bay
there are many spectrums of light that heat objects . Most in the infrared range. If you block them , items stay cooler. Those objects then radiate heat Back to the surrounding air. In turn heating up the space. Block the rays and there is less transmitted heat. Of course objects are not really heating up , you are just removing the cold . But that’s another discussion.

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
ARC, I get what you are saying. But what I am asking is if your shades/blinds are inside the boat/room, the heat they give off after being heated by the sun is already inside. So what is gained?
The boat in question has sun screens on the outside of the windows too, in that case the heat caught by them is blown away outside.
I never had a problem when I was in the trades but in FL HOT

ARC

Captain
Boat Make
31’ eastern Casco Bay
I agree outside would probably shed more heat then inside. But that requires outside fasting, walking the decks to install and remove . Then there is the potential of wind sending then down deep. Adjusting for tide change And time of day would require another trip on deck. Inside is best for me.

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
Inside for sure, that was just an academic physics question

Charlotte

Lieutenant
We have phifertex shades, cut to the size of each window, held on the interior with Velcro. Works great at keeping heat gain down, but you can still see out.

Top Bottom